String question

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TI flats on a solid body? such as Jetstar/JS w/ Bisonic? or even a JS w Humbucker or M-85 solid body.

Mgod? Happy Face? Ukulelelab? Fro? anyone else that may have tried this? thanks!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Weren't flats the norm for all basses back when?

maybe so, but the current TI jazz flats have very low tension (and specific tone, feel...at least on the starfires) as compared to other current bass flats (non-TI's)

i have D'addario chrome flats now and thinking of trying the Ti's on a JS w/Bisonic but also curious overall if anyones used them on anything other than a hollow/semi-hollow

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Missed that your focus was on specific brand, rather than category.

These aren't the answers you're looking for.

Nothing to read here.

Move along.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
When I first got my bisonic JS bass, it was strung with TI flats. I wasn't thrilled with the bass. Then i switched them to a heavier, higher tension set (daddarios I think) and heard the sound I was looking for when I bought the bass. That was my first experience with TI bass flats. I have bought them 2 times since with similar disappointing results. Maybe they're just not the string for me, but I just find them tonally underwhelming and can't get into the floppy feel either. On the other hand, I love their electric guitar flats and classical guitar flats

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Face had the TI Flats that are now on my NS Starfire. That suggests they were on his JS or a non-Guild. But given that I am confused about which bass I have them on I may be confused about this too...

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Happy Face had the TI Flats that are now on my NS Starfire. That suggests they were on his JS or a non-Guild. But given that I am confused about which bass I have them on I may be confused about this too...

Hello everyone.

For the most part, I've used TI Jazz Flats on both my JS-II and M-85. Now and then I've thrown on TI rounds and Chromes, but generally went back to the TI flats. But right now the JS has Pyramid flats for the reason cited by His Mellowness. I put them on when I was playing out a lot. I enjoyed the higher tension when playing live.

But... I spent the afternoon practicing for a recording session and trying to ponder which bass and which amp to bring.
The M-85 with TIs has such a livelier sound.

That said, I recall that the Monkey God stated that he has his go-to basses strung with rather old TI Jazz ROUNDS.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have Greenie shod with TI Flats and like them for the limited amount that I play that bass. I bought a set of D'Addario Chromes for the fretless Pilot, and LOVE them. They have a slightly brighter sound than most flats, and a bit higher tension as well. I'd like to try them on Greenie at some point. Have rounds on everything else.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks all. i am definetly very happy with the D'addario chrome flats (light gauge, medium scale) on the JS bass- both my previous JS 1 w humbucker, and my current 1970 JS 2 w Bisonic & mini humbucker. the Bisonic though has got me wanting to try the TI flats on the JS, as those are definetly the way to go for a Bisonic Starfire (imo). I have not played or heard TI flats on any Guildbucker equipped Starfire or JS bass, but the D'addario chrome flats sound wonderful on those.

Again my current JS bass has a Hagstrom Bisonic in the neck and Hagstrom mini-hum in the bridge. I could easily stick with the D'addarios, it sounds fantastic, to my ears. but knowing how the Starfire sounds im tempted to "go there". right now with only the Bisonic pickup engaged (neck) it seems to spit out certain notes as Starfire tones and other notes as Guildbucker tones. shes kind of lost, ive almost felt from the beginning like "the pickup wants out" and would be better served inside a hollow/Starfire bass...but i'm not about to do that, on several levels, so might try the TI's and see how it goes. as long as the tension is no different than on a Hobken SF bass it sounds like something I should try. based on Happy Face's reply and the info from the rest of you I think it's worth trying them.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
String with TI flats when TI rounds do not apply.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I prefer higher tension strings (e.g.: Chromes) on any short scale bass. Otherwise, the E string gets too flubbery.

edwin

Reaction score
Good opportunity to learn to lighten your touch.

Definitely true.

I used the TI flats for a long time, but have moved to the Pyramid Golds. There's something purer about the midrange to me. They are less consistent and more idiosyncratic, though.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I just got a set of LaBella flats .109. Medium scale length and they fit perfectly on the Starfire and sound great. I have used LaBellas on all my basses for a long time now. Less than 30$/set at Imperial Guitars outta NY. I order them online from them.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Good opportunity to learn to lighten your touch."

I agree with you 100%, and I'm workin' on it!

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I figured I'd just add that switching from TI's to Pyramids was super easy with respect to tension and feel. I barely noticed it. FWIW.

ric426

Reaction score
As an experiment I put a set of LaBella white nylon tape wound strings on my SFII last night and oh baby, I really like 'em. Light feel but just enough tension, clear & lively but full sound without harshness. I like them even better than the Pyramid flats. The E string in that set seemed to be getting dead and unresponsive compared to the rest of the set.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Dunno why, but I figured I'd put a set of TI Jazz Rounds on my much-modded JS-II. Why not since I have flats on two other basses?

Used it at practice tonight and I'm gonna stick with them.

Just have to readjust the filters.

Last edited:

Daghdha

Reaction score
I love me some TI JF-324's.
Not big on their 34" scale set, but for shorties (my standard) I love TI Flats.
Sure, they have a looser feel, but that flexibility translates to tone.
Then again, Jamerson played super heavy gauge Labella flats only. And ain't no one ever gonna complain about his tone.

I guess that's why there are so many choices. Gotta find what's right for you.