A little respect for "El Kabong"

griehund

Reaction score
So I finally did a little research on my $50 flea market Yamaha. And it seams that "El Kabong" is somewhat of an item. The FG 331 is obviously the model # but the made in Taiwan sent me looking at serial #s that go back to the 70s. According to the Yamaha web site my #: 01017314 means my little banger was built in 0 for 1970, 10 for October, 17 for the day in October, and was the 314th unit produced that day. 0-10-17-314. Considering that it looks and plays like a new instrument has me in awe. My guess is that somebody bought it as a starter and quit real quick.

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
I bought a Yamaha fs730 with a cracked headstock. A little super glue and wow...unbelievable tone and actually is easier to play than my guild. For $60 I can take it anywhere and not worry about weather, theft, or loose women. I think either reverb or premier guitars had an article "in praise of cheap instruments". I'm always on the lookout for a great bargain now.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So I finally did a little research on my $50 flea market Yamaha. And it seams that "El Kabong" is somewhat of an item. The FG 331 is obviously the model # but the made in Taiwan sent me looking at serial #s that go back to the 70s. According to the Yamaha web site my #: 01017314 means my little banger was built in 0 for 1970, 10 for October, 17 for the day in October, and was the 314th unit produced that day. 0-10-17-314. Considering that it looks and plays like a new instrument has me in awe. My guess is that somebody bought it as a starter and quit real quick.

Hello griehund,

Definitely not an expert on Yamaha guitars, but I looked real quick in my archives, and there is no entry for the model FG-331 that early in the 1970s.
The earliest entry for the FG-331 that I could find was 1979 and it was still listed in the 1980 catalog, but not after that.
Since the Taiwan serial number system was used for close to 30 years, it would fit in with the # 01017314 in your guitar, making your guitar an FG-331 from the year 1980.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

griehund

Reaction score
Hello griehund,

Definitely not an expert on Yamaha guitars, but I looked real quick in my archives, and there is no entry for the model FG-331 that early in the 1970s.
The earliest entry for the FG-331 that I could find was 1979 and it was still listed in the 1980 catalog, but not after that.
Since the Taiwan serial number system was used for close to 30 years, it would fit in with the # 01017314 in your guitar, making your guitar an FG-331 from the year 1980.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks for the correction Hans. Now if I could get 10 years younger. On second thought, I enjoy being an old gasser. On the bright side, "El Kabong" just got 10 years younger. :proud:

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
Hey Tom, Hey Walrus,

Thank you for the welcome back. I've been busy with life...but still find time to check in on LTG. I'm disappointed there still isn't a category for string threads...

YON

griehund

Reaction score
Hey Tom, Hey Walrus,

Thank you for the welcome back. I've been busy with life...but still find time to check in on LTG. I'm disappointed there still isn't a category for string threads...

YON

13s on the D40
12s on the Fg331
12s on the SFIII
11s on the 6129

That is all.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Tom, Hey Walrus,

YON

I think RR tried to start one but the Moderators squashed it.

mario1956

Reaction score
Hey Tom, Hey Walrus,

YON

I don't know, dude, I like PB Medium/lights but you know that there are then ones made by D'Addario that are really cool but I'm not so sure that the Guild Balanced Tension ones really give me "the sound" that I'm looking for but you know then there's all the buzz about Monel and you know that gives close to the sound needed but not really sure if it fits the playabilityornotbutyouknowtheguytheotherdaysaid............

What do you think??? :redface-new::eek:nthego::grief::black_eyed::beaten:

Hope that catches you up on the latest string buzz, welcome back.