Guitar Center

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to make the 40 minute drive and visit Guitar Center in Pensacola for the first time. I've never been to a GC so I don't know what to expect. I didn't see much in the way of Guild acoustics there when I got online but there may be a hidden gem in the back or something. My D15 and D25 are great guitars but I'd like to try some other Guilds. The D50 I had didn't do much for me but that was that.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Goes to show I guess, that you can get a not so great model anytime regardless of Brand. I'm curious about what you didn't like on your D 50. I have one that has seen better days cosmetically but the tone/sound is nearly angelic. It's one of my favorite Guilds.

I'm not typically a big fan of big box stores but I gotta admit, GC can be a lot of fun to spend some time in. I've bought (and sold) a few items at GC. There's a place for them in this world for sure.

Have fun and good luck!!!!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tomorrow I'm going to make the 40 minute drive and visit Guitar Center in Pensacola for the first time. I've never been to a GC so I don't know what to expect. I didn't see much in the way of Guild acoustics there when I got online but there may be a hidden gem in the back or something. My D15 and D25 are great guitars but I'd like to try some other Guilds. The D50 I had didn't do much for me but that was that.

Looking at the Pensacola store's vintage and used inventory, there's nary a Guild to be found, Doc. You might want to save yourself a trip!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This time of year Doc I would bring some ear plugs for sure! LOL. With kids out of school you are sure to hear more awful versions of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Sweet Child of mine" than you could ever imagine! LOL. They should have an Acoustic room where they have their version of high end guitars from Martin and Taylor as well as a Good bit of used acoustic guitars. Good luck in your search and have fun!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Not to dash your hopes, but how far a drive is it?

Since you've never seen the inside of one before, Guitar Center is a big-box chain store, a musical instrument version of Target or Wal-Mart. It isn't the kind of place where you're likely to discover some treasure hidden in the basement or in some dusty back room.

They do carry used guitars along with new ones, and you might hit it lucky. But if it's a long drive and not on the way to Grandma's house or something, you might want to reconsider. I doubt you'll find much of anything that isn't already on their online inventory.

"The D50 I had didn't do much for me"?!

I only know Westerly D50s and I'd rate them as among the best guitars Guild ever made. Maybe you had a dud?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I only know Westerly D50s and I'd rate them as among the best guitars Guild ever made. Maybe you had a dud?

"If I Recall Correctly" it was actually a Corona, the place with the highest percentage of new owners reporting "underwhelming" sound.
Off the top of my head I'm thinking maybe about one in 15 of Coronas reported here that I remember, which is actually only about 6% and still better than some reports we see of guys playing several "other brands" in a row and remaining unimpressed.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you don't see anything in the inventory online, don't go expecting to find it in the back. Places like GC have everything tightly inventoried.

Opsimath

Reaction score
Forty minutes is not a terribly long drive. It probably takes me thirty to get to our GC. There might possibly be something not listed online. Maybe they've gotten in some new trades that they haven't had time to list, or are still on the "police hold" waiting to see if the serial number pops up as stolen. I like to stop in when I'm in that part of town. I enjoy going into the acoustic room even if I don't find anything of interest. I don't think I have ever seen a Guild in ours, but I'm only there once or twice a month. Sometimes I have the acoustic room to myself and sometimes there is someone in there playing, and I ask if they mind if I stay and listen. There is almost certainly someone in there ready to talk guitar. I've "met" a few people there who I will likely never see again, but enjoyed some guitar conversation. Whether you come out with a prize or not, it could still be fun.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Unlikely to find a Guild there, but if you've never been to a Guitar Center, it might be fun to "experience" it. Lots of accessories, etc, to look through, usually a nice Acoustic room to check out, and so on.

Let us know what you think!

walrus

Last edited:

Jim

Reaction score

If you are going to the GC in Pensacola, I also suggest stopping by Blues Angels Music. It is not too far down the road and worth the trip. I was there doing work on NAS Pensacola a few months ago and they had a 70s D35 for sale ($1400). Played great but too much for me. The GC is in an OK area in a strip mall. It is a nice store, but smaller than most.

Again, try Blues Angel Music! (no affiliation BTW).

Jim

griehund

Reaction score
Did I ever tell you the story about how my cell phone got hacked in the GC at Berklee College of Music in Boston? I walk in the store and my Iphone starts playing rock music. I was not aware of any wifi signal and my blue tooth was turned off. I had to mute the phone to get rid of the music. Very weird.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
If you are going to the GC in Pensacola, I also suggest stopping by Blues Angels Music. It is not too far down the road and worth the trip. I was there doing work on NAS Pensacola a few months ago and they had a 70s D35 for sale ($1400). Played great but too much for me. The GC is in an OK area in a strip mall. It is a nice store, but smaller than most.

Again, try Blues Angel Music! (no affiliation BTW).

Jim
+1 on this. Also, Blues Angel is a Guild dealer. They've got several Guild electrics,(I sold them a few) and several used acoustics that are somewhat overpriced. They have several of the new "Westerly Collection" acoustics also. Ask for Steven when you go to get the best deal, he's the manager. They also have most of their inventory on E-Bay and Reverb. On Reverb, scroll down to the bottom and search by city and you'll see P-cola on there mostly because of Blues Angel. That particular GC had me the absolute angriest I've ever been in a guitar store and completely ruined a birthday surprise for my son a few years ago. Not a half mile from that GC is a place called 1919 Guitars. They have some absolutely drool worthy vintage stuff in there and a few Guilds.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guitar Center is FUN. Just go and enjoy yourself. It takes me 30 minutes to get to the one on my side of town but it's well worth it. I was there last night. It wasn't my original destination, but after playing Santa and taking my favorite bartenders in Town Square their Christmas gifts, I stopped in. Last nights outstanding guitars were ALL Gibsons!! No, really! The four that I played sounded amazing. The Martin's and Taylor's not so much, except for one little sunburst Taylor Grand Concert 12-fretter!! That thing just SANG!!

So 40 minutes isn't bad and you should enjoy yourself. I always do!! :encouragement:

Neal

Reaction score
I used to lurk in GC's all over America during my days of business travel. They all have one thing in common. They have a high-end acoustic room with unfettered access to a bunch of Martins, Taylors and Gibsons in the $2500-$4000 range.

Guitar Center allowed me to educate myself on tonewoods, body sizes and shapes, scale lengths, and the different tonal characteristics of each of the "major" brands.

I never actually bought a guitar in one, though. I came close one day with a late '60's Martin D-18...