Sound differences between Gretsch Duo Jet and Guild M-75 Aristocrat?

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know if the new Newark Street M-75 is a true hollow body, or is it chambered like a Duo Jet (with Dynasonics)?

I'm still debating whether I should go small and get the Aristocrat or Duo Jet. Or just go big again and try the Guild Starfire III and Gretsch G6119-1962 (Yes, I'm already aware of sound differences between the G6119-1962HT and SFIII). I like the "grandness and fatness" of full thin-line hollow bodies, but the idea of a "big-souding" guitar in a smaller package, sounds apealing to me as well.

I've listened to some demos of both on Youtube, and I was quite impressed with the clean sounds of the Aristocrat, but the Gretsch Duo Jets were beautiful sounding as well. It's hard to tell actual sounds since Youtube videos are always subject to equipment and environment used.

I noticed the Aristocrat had a more hollow woody tone, but then after hearing Keith Richards with the Stones on Ed Sullivan, I feel more convinced that it may truly be hollow, perhaps more so than a Duo Jet with Dynas...I just love Keith's loose, woody airy tone he's getting on his M-65 (basically a open-hole M-75).

Good news is, I'll be heading over to Tokyo, Japan in early February of next year; tickets already bought, so I'll definitely have a chance to try various guitar shops, as well as different hollow bodies and chambered body guitars. It doesn't seem Ishibashi Music has a lot of Guilds electrics, and none that I'm interested in. I've already contacted Guild website and requested some info about any dealers in Tokyo. Still waiting for their reply.

Anyhow, I was wondering what you fellow 'Guildsters' thought about which small-body guitar had the most impressive hollow/woody sound?

Feel free to shoot your thoughts and/or experiences/cautions.

Many thanks in advance,

Best, RH

P.S. It's agonizing for me waiting for February next year...LOL!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The NS Aristocrat, like the original, is a fully hollow guitar. With all the pluses and minuses that entails. I love hollowbody archtops, electric and acoustic, and thus two of my four Guilds are M-75s.

Oh, I should add: being small-bodied guitars with no soundholes the M-75s are light on bass acoustically. Punchy, though, with a pleasing clang when strummed or picked hard. They record acoustically quite well provided you're going for parts & sounds that sit well in a mix.

-Dave-

Last edited:

DeluxeToneJim

Reaction score
G'day Richly,

Small Body Gretsch Electric vs Guild Aristocrat... Apples and oranges comparison. I've had both, as well as both larger body Gretsches and my Guilds. Gretsches sound like Gretsches and Guilds sound like Guilds. You will really only know for sure which has the tone you're seeking when you sit down and play each and compare them with your own ear. Whereabouts in the world do you live? My experience with Guild prices in Japan is that they're comparatively quite high - certainly higher and with less market competition than in North America. Gretsches on the other hand benefit from being locally produced in Japan and there are tons of them over there at exceptionally good prices on the second hand market. I'm in Australia so we luck out on both - they're all expensive here!

For my ear - you can definitely get a really cool early Stones vibe happening on the Newark St M-75 Aristocrat for sure. Definitely worth playing one in person and go from there. Good luck with the search.

- Jim
1973 S-50
1974 SFII
1974 SFIV Stereo
1979 X500
1999 X150
2002 X150D
2013 A150 Savoy

Reaction score
Hello, firstly I would like to say thank you for the prompt replies.

Quantum Strummer, I think your descriptions of the M-75 really make me want to try it out even further.

DeluxeToneJim, it's true that Gretches and Guilds sounded different, I tried a Gretsch Annie Limited edition with Powertrons when I was in Guangzhou, China. I also tried a Gretsch Pro Jet whilst in Hong Kong, although it is purely solid, and not chambered like a Duo Jet.

I currently live/work in China, and to be very honest, my custom-made parts-o-caster has been really uninspiring for me for the past two years, I really need a change in instrument, and I know exactly the soun(s) that are in my head. I'm trying to find the right opportunity to try as many hollow-bodies and chamber bodies as I can to see which guitar best matches the 'sounds in my head'.

As for pricing, I'm already prepared to pay a little more for either a Guild or Gretsch, as the models I seek are not readily available in Mainland China, nor in Hong Kong as well (Tom Lee's Music in HK requires at least 3-4 months shipment time to order). Why am I willing to pay a little extra?

If let's say I bought a used Gretsch for around US$1400-1500 on eBay or Craigslist (if the seller is even willing to ship abroad), I'd also have to tack on at least 30%-35% VAT and duty charges for China, then shipping at average US$175-200. Buying in person maybe more costly, but also more personal since I know exactly how the guitar feels and plays, and sounds.

I didn't have a so-good experience ordering a NS Starfire III from Sweetwater earlier this year back in April, when I went back to the States to visit my folks for a bit. Therefore I'm a little more skeptical of ordering online now.

But to be straight forward, regardless of the costs, I'm looking forward to this trip in many ways...good food, fascinating culture, history, night life and such, Manga anime, and of course, the g'tarzzz man!

Last edited:
Reaction score
...Another thing, though I know it's technically risky, I know several people who have gotten in China (and HK) with a new guitar, especially in a gig bag with paperwork removed and stowed elsewhere. The key is carry very little (perhaps a backpack), and the guitar in it's gig-bag/case...plus be courteous and polite as much as possible, and more likely the agents at Customs don't get so anal. It's usually those that bring in crates or boxes of items and goods that get confronted.
I suppose if I had three or four large guitar gig-bags, and a large suitcase, and backpack, that would definitely heighten the suspicion, otherwise keep low key. And if you do get apprehended, best thing can say is play dumb and say 'you forgot or didn't know, how much is the VAT?'...and just pay the "technically correct" VAT/duties.
China's really bit of a gray area when it comes to stuff like that, but I'm not as worried in China as I am entering the U.S. or even heading to Europe or U.K.

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic for me as I have a Gretsch 6128TCG Duo Jet I just picked up used from Guitar center. This being my first Gretsch guitar and wanting the Dynasonics this is a real eye opener for me. I finally have it dialed in just the way I want it, it is light and a blast to play. I have played several Aristocrats, both old and new and I agree it's a whole different guitar. Give the Duo Jet a try and you may just like it, I do! I look forward to hear what other owners have to say.
Thanks John

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there has been no other comments on this topic. I have also thought about a NS Aristocrat with the T-armond dynas. That might be something to try as TV Jones will make the T-armonds in a soap bar type configuration.
Thanks john

Reaction score
For the past few days, I have been in dialogue with an Akira of Kikutani Music Center in Japan, but he runs a distribution shop in Inabacho Asahi Shi, which is in Aichi perfecture, about 2-2.5 hour bullet train ride from Tokyo. His store distributes Guild guitars to other shops in Tokyo, so there's no need for me to go all the way out to Aichi perfecture to visit Kikutani, so I can just go to Miyaji Music Store in Tokyo to see the Guilds there...

Additionally... has anyone installed or tried a Tru-Arc (or Compton) bridge for their M-75 Aristocrats? How much has the sound/tone/sustained improved? This would be another factor to consider. I'm into some early Stones, Beatles, Electric Prunes, and maybe early U2 (Neu-wavish). I'm not sure how this Aristocrat would fair-up beyond it's 'clean' and 'in-between broken-up' spectrums...but it sounds like an amazing sounding instrument, altogether.

Your views and experience with the M-75 (minus feedback issues)?

Last edited: