Eva Cassidy Article

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6bc5b0-9df7-11e5-a3c5-c77f2cc5a43c_story.html

If that link doesn't behave try a search for "The story behind the gigs that helped launch the career of Eva Cassidy" and pick the result from the Washington Post.

She played Guilds during her short career and folks at LTG are constantly rediscovering her. The lead photo in the article shows her standing in a doorway with a guitar case leaning on the wall. If you already know Guild logos then the case is clearly recognizable as a Guild case.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow!!!! I had never heard of her before this and that is truly a shame. This lady had a gorgeous and pretty unique voice and she was quite a player to boot. Thanks for sharing this. Although I swore I was not going to buy anymore music, I'm going onto Ebay now and find some of her recordings. I like this version of Over The Rainbow even better than Clapton's which I thought was superb.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!!!! I had never heard of her before this and that is truly a shame. This lady had a gorgeous and pretty unique voice and she was quite a player to boot. Thanks for sharing this. Although I swore I was not going to buy anymore music, I'm going onto Ebay now and find some of her recordings. I like this version of Over The Rainbow even better than Clapton's which I thought was superb.

The last time she appeared in a post I did exactly the same thing; opened a new tab, searched eBay and bought one of her CDs on the spot. I bought "The Best of Eva Cassidy. Excellent!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could be angle of photo but looks more like a dreadnought shape. D55 maybe?

Well she was pretty well known for playing a Songbird. Looking at the ratio between the neck width of the case and the lower bout of the case, it looks like a Songbird/GX Series case to me.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
That is the Songbird case...the one that goes with the first version which has the control knobs for the preamp on the side of the lower bout...the case I don't have that wasn't included with the used Songbird I have...nothing but the correct case or a gig bag will fit that model...believe that case design was also used for the Bluesbird...and maybe the Paloma.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well she was pretty well known for playing a Songbird. Looking at the ratio between the neck width of the case and the lower bout of the case, it looks like a Songbird/GX Series case to me.
I understand now from Jane's explanation about needing the clearance for the knobs, I was expecting a shape like my F65ce's, more F-body shaped.
I knew about the Songbird connection but it just looked like a deluxe dreadnought case to me.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
The world is sure missing out these days. I've just been crazy about her forever. And now it's time for an afternoon of listening.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Not sure how I first heard of her, but I recall that within hours I was tracking down a CD. I used to love Judy Collins' version of "Who Knows Where the Time Goes". Eva takes it to a whole new level. How sad that her moment(s) in the sun have come after her death.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I learned of her here on LTG shortly after I joined. Just one more reason to love this forum. Her version of "The Tennessee Waltz" is the definitive one. No one better!! :encouragement:

Great article, frono! Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
"...and Eva's singing 'Fields of Gold'"... Mary Chapin Carpenter - "In My Heaven".

I listened to this album ("Between Here and Gone") several times before I caught the reference to Eva Cassidy in the song "In My Heaven". Then it dawned on me that Mary Chapin Carpenter lived in and around D.C. for most of her life, and that this was a "shout out" in recognition of a singular talent!

Like Doc in AL, after reading the WP article, I spent the next hour listening to Eva Cassidy songs on You Tube. :listening_headphone

Bill

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, fronobulax, I wish to thank you for posting this article. I just received 2 of her CD's I'd ordered (and I seldom buy music anymore) and was just blown away. Real tasteful blues/jazz type music perfect for the early a.m.'s or late p.m.'s Unlike most of you probably, I had never heard of her. My loss. I sure wish she was still around, she was for sure a true relent with an exceptional gift. Cancer truly does suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6bc5b0-9df7-11e5-a3c5-c77f2cc5a43c_story.html

If that link doesn't behave try a search for "The story behind the gigs that helped launch the career of Eva Cassidy" and pick the result from the Washington Post.

She played Guilds during her short career and folks at LTG are constantly rediscovering her. The lead photo in the article shows her standing in a doorway with a guitar case leaning on the wall. If you already know Guild logos then the case is clearly recognizable as a Guild case.