Guild's "Kickstand" models in Vintage Guitar magazine

Thunderface

Reaction score
A colleague here at work recycles his Vintage Guitar magazines to me (thanks, Tom), and he just brought over the January 2016 issue with Billy Gibbons on the cover. Inside, he pointed out to me, was an article on Guild's S-100/S-200 "Kickstand" models. "Don't you have one of those," he asked? Yes I do, I happily replied.

Kickstands_zpsk3w7ptkp.jpg

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thankfully the kickstand was left off of my S-50 jet stars! I don't like when things on the back of a guitar gets caught on my clothes (like a cavity cover on a guild or the string holes on a fender). That thing would bother me. But I am glad most others seem to have no problem with them!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert back in 1995. At the time, guitarist Mike Campbell (who has an amazing guitar collection) had a Guild Thunderbird that he played regularly in live shows (along with other axes). At some point early in the show one of the guitar "wranglers" handed him the Thunderbird to play. After the song, he made a point of engaging the kickstand and standing the guitar up onstage back near the amps, instead of returning it to the guitar rack. It stayed there for the rest of the night! Luckily, no one knocked it over as they moved about the stage during the concert.

By the way... it was a great show! The band was tight as a drum, they played loud and they rocked the house. One of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever seen.

Bill

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
If there's one person in this world that I would love nothing more than to hear him do his thing with a vintage Guild solid body (particularly a kickstand model), it would be Billy Gibbons.