Is this a record price sold for a M-20 Nick Drake model?

Jahn

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/1401582-1965-guild-m-20-nick-drake-owned-by-jeff-tweedy-of-wilco

Tweedy's stash may have helped of course!

pkp4h0qpjujc3hbv21bg.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like they have already sold a good bit of gear and have some other pretty cool pieces still available. This was the only Guild so far but I think the sale price definitely had more to do with the fact that this was one of Tweedy's personal guitars and the rock solid Provenance that came along with it. Kind of hard to deny who owned it when that is the person who it was purchased from, Especially with the record of it selling on the internet from their personal collection. Someone got a nice little piece of history and for someone who is a Wilco or Tweedy fan I think the price was right in line. It is very hard in this day and age to buy a guitar from one of your guitar heroes, especially for $3200.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like they have already sold a good bit of gear and have some other pretty cool pieces still available. This was the only Guild so far but I think the sale price definitely had more to do with the fact that this was one of Tweedy's personal guitars and the rock solid Provenance that came along with it. Kind of hard to deny who owned it when that is the person who it was purchased from, Especially with the record of it selling on the internet from their personal collection. Someone got a nice little piece of history and for someone who is a Wilco or Tweedy fan I think the price was right in line. It is very hard in this day and age to buy a guitar from one of your guitar heroes, especially for $3200.

I love Jeff Tweedy and Wilco, but wish I could say the same about M20s. That 1 5/8" nut is totally unplayable for me.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not for me! Go ahead and ship all your small nut guitars my way!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
YIKES, Sandy!! I didn't know they had a 1 5/8 nut!! That would be a problem for me too.

The later Westerly reissues (both F and M20) were archback, standard scale, 1 11/16" nut guitars. Better, but I still prefer 1 3/4" or even wider.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I can get along with just about any neck width, from narrow Rickenbackers to wide classicals. My F-20's neck feels more "Telecaster" to me than "acoustic guitar"…but I like Teles!

-Dave-

Jim

Reaction score
A passing comment about the 1-5/8" nut on the old M-20s.

I, too, was worried that it would be too small for my hands. I am 6-ft and 190 lbs and feel most comfortable with a jumbo (F512) or deep-dish dread (D25).
But my recently acquired '65 M20 feels wonderful.

Yes, it may be 1-5/8" wide, but I think it is the thickness of the M-20's neck that makes it comfortable for a bigger hand and longer fingers too play. Not sure if the neck profile is a C or D, but it fills out the hand and you forget the nut.

So for those worried about the 1-5/8" nut, go try an old M20, and be prepared to bring it home!

Jim

tjmangum

Reaction score
Steve Swan once let me try out a ghost label M20 for a couple of weeks and no matter how hard I tried to like it, there was no love to be found. Without the Drake connection, I think this model would be just a first cousin to the Martin 00-17. Nice, but nothing to get too excited about.
T

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A passing comment about the 1-5/8" nut on the old M-20s.

I, too, was worried that it would be too small for my hands. I am 6-ft and 190 lbs and feel most comfortable with a jumbo (F512) or deep-dish dread (D25).
But my recently acquired '65 M20 feels wonderful.

Yes, it may be 1-5/8" wide, but I think it is the thickness of the M-20's neck that makes it comfortable for a bigger hand and longer fingers too play. Not sure if the neck profile is a C or D, but it fills out the hand and you forget the nut.

So for those worried about the 1-5/8" nut, go try an old M20, and be prepared to bring it home!

Jim

ditto. very well said. and same for the 1966 elecrtic jetstar S-50. only the 1966 has that 1 5/8 nut but with the thicker, rounder profile. these are my home run Guild 6-strings (Hoboken F-20, M-20, 66 S-50 electric...).

also the comment above about the tele comparison...the F-20 and M-20 do feel very much like playing an electric. it is a combonation of things, but you can really get around that small body size. and that neck...it is zero adjustment from electric. to me, it is much closer to an electic feel than an archtop with a floating bridge. just stick a pick up in if u need some juice.