The Secret might be out!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sure someone else will find the link to the LTG discussion back in June when the article was first written. I wonder if anyone thinks prices have changed in six months...

naveed211

Reaction score
For under or near a grand, there's nothing better. Once they creep up into the $1500-2000 range, competition opens up a bit and it comes down to personal preference at that point.

Body style makes a difference, too. You'd still be hard-pressed to find a better jumbo even at $1500 used. Tons of dreads available at $1500 that are super nice.

Daveyo

Reaction score
I may have posted this before, but I bought , a yr ago, a great D50 that rivals any Martin d28.for the price of just a bit over
9 benjamins.
what a deal.
Dave

tjmangum

Reaction score
For under or near a grand, there's nothing better. Once they creep up into the $1500-2000 range, competition opens up a bit and it comes down to personal preference at that point.
Body style makes a difference, too. You'd still be hard-pressed to find a better jumbo even at $1500 used. Tons of dreads available at $1500 that are super nice.
Very true in regards to price points. Regarding jumbos, and I like them, I'm not sure there is all that much interest in jumbos and in 12 strings these days. Guild truly makes (and has made) the best in those designs, but does anyone else really care besides us Guild-ites?

Reaction score
I don't know about 12 strings, but Gibson still sells a bunch of jumbos, and the price for used Gibson jumbos is still pretty high. And other brands offer jumbos too, so I think it's more than just us "Guild-ites" that are interested.

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Regarding jumbos, and I like them, I'm not sure there is all that much interest in jumbos and in 12 strings these days. Guild truly makes (and has made) the best in those designs, but does anyone else really care besides us Guild-ites?

Taylor also makes a fair number of jumbos. In fact they seem to offer more alternatives to the classic dreadnaught body shape than just about any other major US manufacturer.

naveed211

Reaction score
Taylor also makes a fair number of jumbos. In fact they seem to offer more alternatives to the classic dreadnaught body shape than just about any other major US manufacturer.

I'm sure guitar aficionados appreciate what a jumbo can do and will justify buying one, but of course smaller body guitars and dreadnoughts will always sell more. They have a classic look, are often cheaper, and everyone from children on up can play them easier than a jumbo.

I remember in the late 90's when I was starting to get interested in actually playing guitar, it seemed like everyone was playing a jumbo. I think my earliest memory of actually differentiating guitars is seeing Kelly Jones from Stereophonics playing a Gibson SJ-200, and he is so diminutive that guitar basically took up his whole body. I thought it looked so cool I knew I had to have one since then. Just took me this long to get one.