Thinking about Hillman SF, but...also question about bursts in general...

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't like the Birds logo on the F board. I mean it looks very nice but I
just don't like others' names on my basses.
However, Sunburst is my favorite SF finish, especially liking the burst neck and sides. Is this feature on the standard bursts? Maybe I'll wait if it is.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure what your question is but perhaps that is because I am not aware that you can get any Newark Street bass in a sunburst except the Hillman.

I spotchecked several vintage sunbursts on Reverb and the sides definitely have the burst but I am not sure about the back of the neck.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I spotchecked several vintage sunbursts on Reverb and the sides definitely have the burst but I am not sure about the back of the neck.
If the body was sunburst the neck was as well, like this one from 1965:

pczggkqufmphnzwpqxu3.jpg

Ralf

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wondering if I should buy a Hillman now while a burst is available, or wait for a future standard burst, if they are going to even do bursts. Of course, if they are moving production to the states then the price may go up.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wondering if I should buy a Hillman now while a burst is available, or wait for a future standard burst, if they are going to even do bursts. Of course, if they are moving production to the states then the price may go up.

I have heard absolutely no rumors that Newark Street production would be moved to the USA. If you have, please share. Ditto for rumors that a Starfire bass would be made outside of the Newark Street line. I do expect a day when there will be a "normal production" Newark Street Starfire bass in sunburst but I think that day is several years from now and I would guess that a 'burst II is more likely than a 'burst I although I have no idea why :) If a Hillman scratched the itch I'd get one now. You can enjoy it for a few years until something more to your liking comes along. If the Hillman doesn't do it then why? If the reason is the presence of the Hillman bling or the absence of a second PU then you probably need to start saving your money and go for a vintage bass.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
See this thread there is a used one for sale at GC-

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ed-Chris-Hillman-signature-model-NS-SF-I-bass

I think the Hillman model is cool. It has a "Byrds" inlay in fretboard which is a modest enough touch for me, a tribute was intended so there it is, and it kinda looks cool. The Hillman signature TRC is classy enough, but even better for me is swap it out for a regular Guild TRC, which is an easy change. Or just leave it alone. I think the Hillman comes with flats as well.

Again, GC has a good return policy and will finance 12 months no interest on used (18 months new). So little or no risk if U want to check one out

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I'll wait for a standard. Maybe a II burst!

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Did anyone here get one of these?

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"I think people are operating on the assumption that they are, in practice, nothing more (or less) than a Newark Street SF I in sunburst"

In addition to the inlay and finish differences, the body of the Hillman is constructed of maple, whereas that of the Newark I and II are of mahogany.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
"I think people are operating on the assumption that they are, in practice, nothing more (or less) than a Newark Street SF I in sunburst"

In addition to the inlay and finish differences, the body of the Hillman is constructed of maple, whereas that of the Newark I and II are of mahogany.

Thanks. I tend to forget about maple vs. mahogany and that does make a difference. I seem to recall a suggestion in marketing literature that could have been interpreted to mean the pickup and/or the values in the wiring were different but no one has been able to list the differences so I'm thinking it is marketing hype combined with the problems of English as a first language.

That said, I think you have to be pretty deep into Starfire basses to understand the significance of maple so maybe the market is not reacting to that.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think I'll wait for a standard. Maybe a II burst!

look out for a 90s SF Bass II in sunburst, they are out there! they are gorgeous, 1/4 in thinner in the body than 60s/70s/newark st, and the 90s humbuckers sound great.

Also most SF basses in sunburst are maple. so if someone wants sunburst they pretty much want a maple one. they do sound a little different than mahogany to my ears.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Also most SF basses in sunburst are maple."

I would even venture to bet on "all". You almost need the blonder, more uniformly-toned wood for the yellow part of the 'burst. Otherwise you wind up with more of a "brownburst", which is fine, but it's kind of a different thing from traditional sunburst. A lot of mahogany is kind of "stripey" looking as well (in line with the grain, as opposed to across the grain as with flame maple). I know that's the case with my trans-red, NS SF-I.

All the ' burst DeArmond Starfire Basses I've seen also look to have maple bodies, but I've never examined one up close, so that's a guess. Don't know about the opaque, black ones. Are the red DeArmonds opaque or transluscent? Maple or mahogany?

Have never played a maple Starfire. Would be interesting to A/B one with my NS SF-I to hear the nuance, but not interesting enough to shell out for a single-pup, CH SF. I also agree with lungimsam about other peoples names decorating instruments (not that I don't respect Mr. Hillman and love a lot of his music). Autographed instruments just come off as a bit too "fan boy" for my personal taste. Les Pauls get a special exemption ;-).

But if Guild ever puts out a maple-bodied, 'burst, production version of the NS SF-II, my wallet will be in jeopardy. That would be different enough from what I already have to inspire my lust.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Also most SF basses in sunburst are maple."

I would even venture to bet on "all".

well then i suppose you would venture to loose that bet, as while a mahogany Guild SF Bass in sunburst is a rare beast indeed, they certainly do exist.

jmS9eL.jpg

kXIil5.jpg

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Always happy to get schooled: it's how we learn!

That's a real beauty, too.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Always happy to get schooled: it's how we learn!

That's a real beauty, too.

yeah, nothing is impossible with Guild. Also some of the 90s Guild Starfire basses are mahogany, in natural, black and red, but the sunburst are maples. some of the black and red ones are also maple, i believe (and others mahogany). not sure about the Dearmonds. cant go wrong with any of them.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
" cant go wrong with any of them"

No argument there: I'm completely in love with mine.

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
I emailed Cordoba last July, when the Starfire II was still in pre-order, they replied:

“I'm not sure if there will be plans to offer it in Sunburst, but if you like that finish you should check out the Chris Hillman Signature Byrds Bass we just released as well. Different from the Starfire II, but still a pretty sweet bass!”

I’m a burst man myself, and if there's only one pickup I want it at the neck, not the bridge...

Last edited: