Do you remember....

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do but I also remember when someone asked that question (in a classroom, not last year on LTG) and got a bunch of blank looks because the audience had not even been born.

JimmyD

Reaction score
High school....we were let go for the day. Watched TV all weekend, ending with Oswald getting shot live. Earlier in the year it was the Buddhist monk in Saigon setting himself on fire, and then Medgar Evers being shot. Lot of upheaval going on and somehow, at the time, reading Animal Farm and 1984 made a lot of sense.

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fourth grade, Capehart, Nebraska. Our teacher, Mrs Cunningham, wheeled in a television set and we watched news updates for the rest of the day. We may not have completely inderstood, but we knew it was a big deal. Only time I've ever seen one of my teachers cry.

silverfox103

Reaction score
If you were alive then, you definitely remember. I was a freshman in high school. I remember the announcement from my home room nun.

It's probably the same for 9 / 11. People will never forget where they were, I won't.

Tom C.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I remember watching the funeral on TV. I was 3 years old and understood only that someone important had died (whatever that meant to my young self) and that my parents were upset about it. The following summer my folks & I visited Washington, DC and saw an early version of the Kennedy memorial (eternal flame) at Arlington. By then I had a better grasp of who that important person was.

My folks weren't religious but while in DC we attended a church service also attended by the President & Mrs. Johnson. Lady Bird patted me on the head as they walked past our pew…not sure if this was entering or leaving. My mom was, as the Brits say (she was a native-born Scot), well chuffed. :)

-Dave-

MLBob

Reaction score
Sitting in my high school's locker room before practice.

bobouz

Reaction score
Junior High School, 7th grade.

I can picture that classroom like it was yesterday.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do a site search and read the answers that were posted every year that you post this.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
7th grade. It was a cold, rainy day in Wisconsin where I was born and raised. We were called in from recess. It was explained to us but I'm not sure many of us could really comprehend what had happened and what it was truly all about. We were sent home. I think it's the only time I ever saw my Father shed a tear.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was born in 77. I vividly remember details as a 3 year old in 1980, when John *Lennon* was shot, although I didn't really understand who he was.

A few years later, early in elementary school, we learned about JFK, and I thought it was the same guy. I was pretty confused for quite some time. After all they had the same name, and were both in a car. And both world reknown. And I was very very young. At some point it just all fell into place.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
5th grade...school had just ended for the day...a bunch of teachers were in their lounge crying, one old battleaxe flushed us out
the front door. No one would tell us what was going on, eventually while we were waiting for the bus rumour came around that
the president had been shot. We all wondered if the Russians were going to invade.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Almost 6 years old, playing in front of our house in Rancho Cordova, CA. Couldn't understand why I had to come in, and why my mom was crying.

For folks my age, it hit our parents really hard - he was the first president born in the 20th century, served in WWII like so many of our parents, and had young kids, like our parents did.