Noobie with 80's Guild shredder

Telechamp

Reaction score
Hello!

New guy here. I've got an 80's USA Guild "shredder" - although I'm unsure of the exact model - but I've had it for 15 years or more.. Anyway, decided to join the party. Here she is:

Guild_DSCN3711pb_zps2zcemlsd.jpg

Guild_DSCN3696pb.jpg

Guild_DSCN3702pb.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice! Hello and welcome! I could be wrong, but I believe your Guild is called the "Aviator." I've always liked those (but never tried one). Yours looks pretty sweet.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! Yes, I also think it is a S-284 Aviator. EDIT: Wrong again...See posts below...

Ralf

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The S-284 Aviator has equal cut-aways and a different offset headstock.

Here's mine:

100_6344.jpg

It might be an early Flyer since it has symmetrical lower bouts.

Like this:

img109.jpg

But since it has the Offset headstock, it might be an S-281.

Only Hans knows for sure and it's going to be a great part of Volume II to get all these guitars explained!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool Guitar! I don't think it is an Aviator though. Every S284 Aviator I have seen has a Set Neck. I believe mine was the 23rd made according to the serial number so it is a fairly early production model. Here are a few pics of my All Black 1984 NOS S284 Aviator.

5WOZby.jpg
LQiq8r.jpg
AWNYHD.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think it's a Guild S-280 flyer, that has to be it.

(not the S-281 flyer or S-270 flyer)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Most of the Flyers I've seen, (including mine) have the offset lower bouts like this:

S-281.jpg

You know, looking at how thin the "horns" are. This looks like a Liberator with an offset headstock.

Here is my Liberator Elite and while it's the same body shape, The elite is bound and has a radiused top.

1988bLiberater-Elite.jpg

I'l have to check my catalogs when I get home.

Hey Telechamp, could you tell us the serial number?

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kurt,
so isn't the OP's white guitar the same model that Hans bought in 2008? Where he said: "It's not unique but it's pretty rare."

1632676238998.png

Hans won't help us here until Volume II comes out I am afraid...
And Hans said back in 2008 it is a "*ator" model, so not a Flyer. But not a "Detonator" either (he said 5 letters out of "Pointyator" are correct). What's left: "Aviator", "Liberator". I can't remember more "*ator" models. The Liberator however had a glued on neck...as well as the Aviator. And we look for a bolt on neck. So the riddle continues...

Ralf

Last edited by a moderator:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ah, now we're cooking Ralf. Definitely the same model guitar!

Amazing that you could remember that and bring it up.

So in the literature that I have there are three "ator" guitars listed. A Detonator, a Liberator II and a Liberator Elite. Could it be possible that the guitar in question is a Liberator I?

Same body style but with a bolt-on neck?

(Somewhere Hans is snickering at all this.)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could it be possible that the guitar in question is a Liberator I?
Maybe, but I also thought they had set necks...I hope Hans counted right when he stated "5 letters out of 10 of "Pointyator" are correct"
Lets see again:
Aviator: Pointyator (6 letters match, well or 5 depending how the A is counted)
Detonator: Pointyator (7 letters match
Liberator: Pointyator (5 letters match)

So yes, only Liberator would match. But the 9/15/87 pricelist shows "Glued in mahogany neck". But the OPs guitar has a bolt on maple neck (which would match the Detonator...)
I have not seen a "Liberator I" yet, unless that is one.
But due to the headstock and if it is indeed the same model Hans bought I assume it is not even in any catalog or pricelist.
Ralf

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All these pictures of Guild Shredders have me thinking about how we can all change the world withe just one Power Ballad! Zebra Striped Fur and Spandex Unite!

Telechamp

Reaction score
Hey Guys - thanks for all the comments. I was really stumped as to what model it is, as I have tried for years to figure it out.

I'll post up some more pics of it.

jcwu

Reaction score
Hello!

New guy here. I've got an 80's USA Guild "shredder" - although I'm unsure of the exact model - but I've had it for 15 years or more.. Anyway, decided to join the party. Here she is:

Guild_DSCN3711pb_zps2zcemlsd.jpg

Nice!!! Reminds me of a white Charvel I used to own, when I was into the pointy headstocks and divebombs.

Telechamp

Reaction score
Here are some more pics of my mystery (?) 80's Guild shredder..

Kahler trem system, if that's any help..

Guild_IMG_5477pb.jpg

Guild_IMG_5480pb.jpg

Guild_IMG_5485pb.jpg

Guild_DSCN3694pb.jpg

Guild_DSCN3700pb.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the new pictures! It might help if you tell us what is written/stamped on the back of the headstock, I see something like XX 101 below the high e-string tuner? And what are the two letters the serial number starts with?
Also those backplates are yet different from anything I can find on other Guild pictures...

Hans is the only one who can clearly identify your guitar but he told us multiple times we have to wait for his second book as those guitars are a big part of it. But we all have fun looking at it and guessing, so stay tuned and patient! It might take some month or even years but you will get an answer!

Ralf

Last edited:

Telechamp

Reaction score
Thanks for the new pictures! It might help if you tell us what is written/stamped on the back of the headstock, I see something like XX 101 below the high e-string tuner? And what are the two letters the serial number starts with?
Also those backplates are yet different from anything I can find on other Guild pictures...

Hans is the only one who can clearly identify your guitar but he told us multiple times we have to wait for his second book as those guitars are a big part of it. But we all have fun looking at it and guessing, so stay tuned and patient! It might take some month or even years but you will get an answer!

Ralf

Sure, no problem. I'll post some more photos under the hood.

I bought the guitar used about 12-15 years ago from our drummer at the time, who also bought it used..

Yes, Hans has contacted me re this guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, Hans has contacted me re this guitar.
Oooooooooohhh!
Out of respect for the value of his research as an intellectual property, we won't ask you to spill the "identity" beans.
Unless he okays it.
:friendly_wink:
(ahhh, I see Grot and I were thinking the same thing at the same time)

Last edited: