Anybody have thoughts on the G&L S-500?

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd really like to get my hands on one, one day. Anybody have any experience with these guitars?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have played one and they are Very nice Guitars, I really liked the pickups. They have the "Classic Strat Tone" with a little more midrange cut. Also like the Tone Pot setup they had. Much different from a regular tone pot. You can change the tone but it won't go muddy like a normal pot. The overall fit and finish was excellent. I just have too many Strats already. Musicstorelive.com is a registered dealer so you can order one at a great price, Get free shipping, and if you don't like it send it back within 14 days and they will pay for return shipping. Here is one listed at Music Store Live right now. They have a Awesome selection.

http://musicstorelive.com/g-l-s-500...=25668859768&gclid=CIrJlN7JjskCFQkuaQodd4YEkA

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd really like to get my hands on one, one day. Anybody have any experience with these guitars?

I'm not a 'leccie guy, but you may also want to try the "Tribute" version of the S-500. I have a Tribute JB2 bass, and can't get over how good the pups and the neck are, and what an amazing value it is. It has become my main rig for gigging.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I haven't played the S-500, but I love my Legacy, their more traditional version of the Strat as far as the electronics go. It also has the dual fulcrum trem, which, if you use a whammy bar, you'll love. You can bend higher or lower AND it will stay in tune. I found the neck far superior to the current fare from Fender; it just fit me.

10154084_640642911024_155977040306060166_n_zps8tjyd0st.jpg

Last edited:

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'd be looking for one of the earlier 80s or 90s versions.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'd be looking for one of the earlier 80s or 90s versions.

Here's mine:

It's an '82 that was apparently re-necked at that factory in '91. It's hard to beat... I'll tell you that the earlier ('80s) necks are a little narrow at the nut for my taste.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
One thing you may notice with earlier S-500s is that the "in-between" pickup positions yield a different sound than a typical Strat. Less quacky or phasey. My understanding is that Leo wasn't a fan of those Strat sounds and so altered the pickup spacing a bit on the S-500 to better suit his ears.

-Dave-

kakerlak

Reaction score
On thing I hadn't considered is that adding an S-500 would keep your signature pretty clean, nomenclature-wise.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Indeed, it would fit in nicely. I love those 3 bolt models. I've always wanted a 70s strat.

gilded

Reaction score
Not trying to cause trouble, but I've had some problems with G&L guitars in the Past. Caveat Emptor.

I don't know how G&L are making their necks now, but in the '90's when I was buying them, they had two piece maple necks. Very carefully matched two piece necks but two piece nevertheless. I mention this because I had two G&L necks that warped significantly on one side when the weather would change (that's how we say 'rain' in Texas!). Again, this happened twice, on two stunningly beautiful Tele necks with upgraded wood, etc.

When the first neck would go out of whack, I would take it to the dealer about 30 miles away, an old friend. Neither one of us connected the change in the weather with the neck issue. I'd drop it off at the store, saying something intelligent like, 'the neck's messed up' or, 'it's buzzing'. The store's tech, who had other things to do besides wait on me hand and foot, would look at it several days later. By that time, the 'weather' would have cleared and the guitar would be back to normal. This happened more than a few times and the guys at the store started thinking I was a little off.

The last time it happened, I picked up the seemingly normal guitar from their shop and drove home. By this time, I was beginning to get the idea that the issue was weather-related. Later in the day, I saw some rain clouds coming in, so I drove back to the shop, dropped the guitar off again and told them, 'look at the guitar TOMORROW.' They did and finally, they could see that one side of the neck was way out of kilter! I got a new neck.

Guess what? The replacement neck would go out of kilter, too, though not quite as badly as the first neck. That guitar went away, along with several hundred dollars worth of value.

Had another friend who had a G&L with a non-operable truss rod. Another store had to replace that neck, too. Over the years, I've had two players call me up and ask about G&Ls with neck issues. It was always the same deal, one bad side on a two piece neck.

What I got out of the experience is the opinion that G&L neck wood, for whatever reason, was not properly seasoned.

Finally, I've had a couple of S-500 owners tell me they didn't care for the trem system. One guy said, 'you had to have the hand of God' to make it work right. I wouldn't know about that, but it ain't like a Stratocaster Trem!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
G&L may've had some hiccups early on post-Leo. ?? Can't say I've ever played a G&L that was less than very good indeed, though I don't own any as my Fender style guitars are all old Fenders. :) My impression of the S-500 vibrato is that it felt & worked a lot like the dual-bolt system Fender now uses on most Strats. IOW, not quite the same feel as the old six-screw type but certainly reliable enough…maybe more reliable even than the oldie. (My favorite Fender vibrato is the Jazzmaster/Jaguar type when used on a Jazzmaster. Flatwound strings, 11 gauge: wiggles smooth & easy and stays in tune.)

-Dave-

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, gilded. I live in a very humid area.