Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toggle Switch for Thunderbird Amp

I have owned dozens of amps in my life. I'm not picky, beyond the fact that I want amps to sound nice clean. If they can do that, I can do anything I want with pedals. I'm a hard rock guy - so, I've used it for many gigs like that. I do jazz gigs, but, I barely use an amp for those - I just go direct.

As for mic'ing it. I focused on the main speaker for my rock gigs. Even if I used the reverb, it would be very minimal. I still use my Blues Jr. most of the time, and I have a Marshall 2210 100 Watter. I also have a few SS amps that do my bidding. Like I said, I only care about clean, so, that whole 'tubes breaking up' thing doesn't really play a big part in it. I had a Carvin Legacy that I liked a lot. After I sold that, I used the Guild more, but the Blues Jr. is my main amp I guess.

As for guitars... Everything. I have 25.. Strats, LP's, Vee's and a few classic Ibanez's (Iceman/Destroyers, etc).

I'm playing more acoustic now - like you - I just put my 2 Kramer Ferringtons through their motions... What I like about the amp is that it just looks classy - and it really does sound great. Like I said, I don't know what the 'stock' ones sound like. But, I LOVE the cabinet I built, and I LOVE that I had a pro (Pete Cage) go through it - with the schematic and an oscilliscope - and replace every cap and spotty component. While I used to have reservations about it just bursting into flames at a gig, now, I just think it's bulletproof... Here's a video of me using it... I don't think you can see it, but I know I used it because it was the day I sold my Carvin, and that's the only other amp I had in the car..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lbq3d5Yczg

All Fixed!!! For those of you interested in how beautiful this amp is... Look at the last 3 pictures...

https://goo.gl/photos/vxb4E1qyQQnZhT6i8

Quote Originally Posted by TheChris View Post

Other than that - even though I have the schematics -
    Thanks again.
    Hey TC!,
    What are the chances of obtaining a copy of the schematics?
    I'd be happy to pay you for your time, expenses and efforts
    I just brought a T1-12 home yesterday. Tag states:serial number 5920, 67 wattst
    Most likely the schematics won't apply to my new/used amp but, I think it will give me something of a reference to go with: should I ever need it.
    Thanks!!
    Mike
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Man View Post
    Hey TC!,
    Most likely the schematics won't apply to my new/used amp but, I think it will give me something of a reference to go with: should I ever need it.
    Thanks!!
    Mike
    Mike, this will be closer for you. Guild had many variations in their amps, so there're always non-spec to be found, but this should be in the ballpark.
    http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sch...ixed_bias.html
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Man View Post
    Hey TC!,
    Thanks!!
    Mike
    I'd be happy to send them. I bought them years ago... I have them printed out on HUGE plotter paper, but, I've got to have a PDF somewhere... Shoot me your email.

All the known schematics are at prowess.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Thanks Much, Chris!!
    Mike

TC, PM'd you with my email address.
    Mike

I just posted elsewhere this pic of my '61 A500 and a '68 Thunderbird - a fine clean combination for tone and power.

As you see, I run a vocal mic in Channel 2, not much reverb. Works for me.
    53 X50, X175, X350; 54 X150; 5? X400; 61 A500; 63 X500; 67 SF XII (2); 69 A150; 90 Nightbird Custom; 94 X700
    57 M20; 58 F20; 67 Mark IV; 75 F50R; 75 G75; 79 G312; 84 D80; 85 F20; 86 Studio24; 87 D66; 88 GF60RCE, GF60M; 94 GV70; 95 DV73; 97 F65CE
    65 T1; 66 T1RVT; 67 Quantum; 68 T'bird, 83 G1000, 92 Aspen

That model Guild was Mike Bloomfield's stage backup amp and the one that Bob Dylan used when he plugged in the tele for the first time. T-bird on far left.

"Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")