Thoughts on Collings CJ?

MrBoZiffer

Reaction score
I've never played a Collings, but there's a nice looking CJ Mh at a local shop that's attracted my attention. I'm going by there later this week to try it out, but I'd like to hear from some of y'all about your experiences with Collings guitars. I don't know much about them other than they're kind of pricey and made in Texas, right? What kind of build quality and character do they typically have? Thanks.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Collings Guitars are handmade in Austin, Texas. They have a very high attention to detail and a high price as well as a Significant Wait List. I would put quality and tone up here with some of the best on their custom builds. The CJ is more of a Standard production model and I haven't played one. I have however played a D2a (I think that was the model name) and it was heavenly. I would put them in the category of builders with Bourgeois, Huss and Dalton, and Santa Cruz guitars. The Guild custom shop Orpheum series was in this range of quality as well so if the CJ doesn't trip your trigger that is an option to look at if you can find them.

TX

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
The fit and finish on a Collings may well be the best in the business, very nice builds. Sound can be wonderful, but make sure it has new strings. They make three neck profiles, so you have to see if that particular piece has one that is good for you. Fine stuff from a fine company.

MrBoZiffer

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm going to go try it today. Will report back.