why, jack?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Just noticed that pretty much in every clear picture I can pull up of Jack playing a Starfire back in the day, the strings seem to be strung around the outsides of the tuning pegs... Is this one of those "just because" things or is there some kind of tuning stability or string tension advantage to having a more dramatic break angle? Speaking of break angle, I wonder if this played any role in the famous broken bass string incidents. In any case, I'm genuinely curious. Any ideas or insights?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just noticed that pretty much in every clear picture I can pull up of Jack playing a Starfire back in the day, the strings seem to be strung around the outsides of the tuning pegs... Is this one of those "just because" things or is there some kind of tuning stability or string tension advantage to having a more dramatic break angle? Speaking of break angle, I wonder if this played any role in the famous broken bass string incidents. In any case, I'm genuinely curious. Any ideas or insights?

Hello mg,

The most logical explanation for the way the bass was strung seems to me the fact that those machineheads were 'left' turning devices, which made tuning awkward when you were used to 'normal' machineheads. Older Fender basses were like that too!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello mg,

The most logical explanation for the way the bass was strung seems to me the fact that those machineheads were 'left' turning devices, which made tuning awkward when you were used to 'normal' machineheads. Older Fender basses were like that too!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

That makes perfect sense Hans. I might restring Greenie like that. Thanks!

ric426

Reaction score
You're pretty observant! In all the times I've looked at pictures of JC I never noticed that.

Hello mg,

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

That was going to be my guess too.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, that's fascinating!! That's a really good explanation, Hans.

Sandy, if you try it, it'd also be interesting to know if the angle (off-center) that the string makes between the nut and the tuner is increasing or decreasing as you move to the outside. It's often suggested that the best headstock designs pull the strings straight through the nut as well as avoid contact with tuners that are closer to the nut.

Just interesting!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
it'd also be interesting to know if the angle (off-center) that the string makes between the nut and the tuner is increasing or decreasing as you move to the outside.
It is increasing hence putting more stress on the nut slots and eventually a nut could even break on the low and high outside strings as the strings pull the nut towards the outside.

So the better and safer way in my opinion is to string from inside as "normal". My opinion might be a bit too careful as the break angel towards the other side is not so high. But still...

129037.jpg

Now to back this up, have a quick read here: http://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-strings/how-to-change-bass-guitar-strings/4

Ralf

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
So the better and safer way in my opinion is to string from inside as "normal". My opinion might be a bit too careful as the break angel towards the other side is not so high. But still...

I don't think that any discussion is necessary here; we all should know what the correct way is to put the strings on the tuner posts.
However, what we're looking at (or at least that's my theory) is an attempt of a player to deal with something that feels unnatural.
We're not forcing lefthanded kids to learn how to write righthanded anymore ( that's what I like to think) or play guitar righthanded for that matter. I'm not sure about playing the violin though!

Anyway, if that's what worked for Jack, that's what he should have done. I don't think the music ever suffered!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

JimmyD

Reaction score
We used to take a razor blade and make small cuts in the speaker to get 'that sound' we heard on our cheap radios. Sometimes even put chip bag wrappers in 'em....you know, the tin foil ones.....that was the best sound.

planetguy

Reaction score
at last! we've found the secret to Jack's great playing and tone! (if only)

most observant of you to pick up on that....big Jack fan here and i never noticed that!