First time poster - 98 Guild Starfire II on the way

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll check the string winding when I am with the bass later today.

Many years ago I found this which has gathered dust for many years. A lot of it is beyond my willingness to work at it but I have been playing the Two-Part Invention #4 in D Minor and Two-Part Invention #1 in C Major and having a lot of fun. As someone who played at bass for many years and being terrified if I had to move my left hand they certainly stretch my comfort zone.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
What color is the silk?

I remember things that did not happen. The '67 strings have a dark blue tending towards purple silk. The NS string have a brightish red. The TI strings are definitely Jazz Bass (flats) but my note to self says the strings I put in those envelopes were the factory installed rounds from the NS. That certainly suggests that the strings on the NS are the TIs and I got confused. Indeed I found one post that says the TIs are on my NS. I think the '67 must have gifted D'Addario flats and so I need to revise my comments to say I have a slight preference for the D'Addarios over the TIs. Given the relative prices...

For the record I have a set of Roto Sound Swing bass that were purchased in 1976 that are now on my JS II. A set of genuine Guild strings from that bass and vintage are now in Kurt's Guild Museum. Strings are just not a big deal for me :)

Reaction score
This bass (natural Starfire II with Darkstars) is now hanging with me.
Denton took good care of it.
I'll get some pics up one of these days as my intro to the group.

ric426

Reaction score
This bass (natural Starfire II with Darkstars) is now hanging with me.

That's kinda my fault. Holdsg bought my N.S. Starfire I, so I guess I got him hooked and invited him here.
Welcome! You're in good company here. These are great guys and very knowledgeable.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone would sell a 1998 Guild SF bass. Mine is the nicest guitar I've ever seen or played, period.