First time poster - 98 Guild Starfire II on the way

Denton

Reaction score
First time Guild owner here and first post! I have been in solid body land for about two decades, and I just recently picked up my first hollow body (Gretsch 5123). I now realize what I have been missing tonally, and I just today sprung for a 98 RI Starfire II with Hammond Dark Stars already installed. To say I am excited and anxious to receive it would be an understatement!

Searching around, there isn't a lot of info on these specific RI or reviews. I know they are US made, so I assume pretty high quality? Mine looks natural with visible woodgrain. I really wanted a cherry red one, but I couldn't pass this one up with the Dark Stars!

Anyway, hoping to get close to some Dead Europe 72 tones with this.

While I wait impatiently for a probable Wednesday delivery, can anyone tell me more about the 90's reissues?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! I am sure others can weight in on the late 90ies reissues. Not sure if they came stock with Dark Stars. Regarding serial number Hans Moust can help you finding out if your bass was really made in 1998.
Ralf

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Those 90's RI Guilds are great instruments. I believe the bodies are slightly thinner than those of the 60's and 70's models. Dark Stars are a great upgrade in my opinion. The 90's ones came stock with humbuckers which were good pickups as well, but to get that awesome 60's starfire tone bisonics/darkstars are the way to go!
On a side note, natural is my favorite of the Guild finishes. Looking forward to photos!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've previously owned a late 90's Starfire II, a very well made and great sounding guitar. Not familiar with the Dark Stars, they are definitely non-original, but see how they sound!

walrus

Denton

Reaction score
I have some pics from the seller. As soon as I figure out how to do that here

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

How to post pics.

The reissue will be thinner than the vintage, the bridge is different and easier to adjust, so I have been told, and left the factory with Guild humbuckers which I think are the same as the 70's humbuckers although no one has confirmed or denied that for me. Dark Stars are a good upgrade, IMO.

mavuser is my go to when I want to make an authoritative statement about the reissues so maybe he can be enticed to comment :)

Denton

Reaction score
As I patiently wait for FedEx to deliver my Starfire, I have been trying to learn more about Guilds. For some reason the B 301-302's are calling me to them. I love the look!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As I patiently wait for FedEx to deliver my Starfire, I have been trying to learn more about Guilds. For some reason the B 301-302's are calling me to them. I love the look!
That's what we are famous about, generating more GAS! Here's a scan from the 1978 Guild electric catalog I found:

GuildB301B302.jpg~original

Ralf

Last edited:

ric426

Reaction score
I didn't know they were available with an ash body and maple neck, and I *know* I've never seen any in sunburst. They must be pretty scarce.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't know they were available with an ash body and maple neck, and I *know* I've never seen any in sunburst. They must be pretty scarce.
B-302A info: http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/bass/B302.php
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?175953-B302A-Help-Needed

B-301 sunburst: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/my-guild-b-301-i-got-this-for-a-steal.490686/
B-302 sunburst (maybe that burst was called differently?): http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1447.0
B-302A suburst: https://reverb.com/item/415243-guild-b302-a-1978-sunburst

Ralf

Denton

Reaction score
Starfire arrived! It's sitting in my truck until I get off work. Ugh

Looks awesome, and I can't wait to hear the Dark Stars

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice! looks like you got a blonde figured maple one. congrats and enjoy! that thing looks real nice!

ps-Europe 72 is epic!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
here's some info for you-

as posted above, the 90s bass is thinner than the vintage bass

also, the 90s pickups are not the same as the 70s pickups. They have the same tone, but the 70s pickups are a little hotter. the 90s pickups sound quite good. you can see they are different on the underside:

70s

90s

another difference is the saddles on the vintage basses are rosewood.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Whoa momma, love that natural maple. And it looks like she's strung up with some nice DR Legend flats; bonus!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I should add I have heard reports of a limited number of Guild SF basses and possibly Dearmond SF basses from right around 1998 getting Darkstar pickups either at the factory or else immediately after factory, and sold as new w the Darkstars. I may be off on the details but I've heard of and seen what may have been one or 2 of those. They were both mahogany Transparent Red, however.

Denton

Reaction score
They are DR Legends. Being a LaBella guy for my other basses, I know nothing about DR. I have a set of TI's waiting for this bass, unless the DR's are better. Seller also threw in some tapewounds too.

Denton

Reaction score
Interesting about the Darkstar upgrades back then. I am excited to hear them for the first time tonight.