Guild D4 NT

titanNV

Reaction score
Are these worth buying @$500, in good playable condition? I've never bought a vintage Guild, but do want to add a USA built one to the collection. And of course I want to play it. Also, does it have lam back, and a 1.69" nut?
Thanks in advance.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Are these worth buying @$500, in good playable condition? I've never bought a vintage Guild, but do want to add a USA built one to the collection. And of course I want to play it. Also, does it have lam back, and a 1.69" nut?
Thanks in advance.
Titan: You may even be able to do better than $500.00 for one in very good condition depending on how much time you have to wait for the right one to come along.
Bear in mind these were basically D25's with as much of the D25's already minimal appointments removed as possible.
This included things like a faceplate with a pearloid logo, binding, Hand-rubbed finish only/no gloss, and no case.
All those became available as production went on, and production ended with close of Westerly.
As far as construction, raw materials, and quality of materials, it IS a D25. (The D25 archback version, that is)
I'm pointing all that out because another recent thread discusses D25's being sold for very similar pricing. It'll open up your options.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks in advance.

Here's a recent discussion about D4's. DavismanLV has a link in there about what to look for when buying a used guitar.

I bought one for the wife, and even after a bone nut and saddle and great setup from Pete Brown, I have less than $450 in it.

$500 is a little strong - my nephew picked one up from Craigslist in Connecticut for less than $350. With a little patience you should be able to find a nice example for $400 or less.

titanNV

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on this. I decided, although I might revisit this, at the moment I'm going to go with something I want just a bit more. Can't buy 'em all (without selling a few!) Just no room!

blankletmusic

Reaction score
You should be able to get one in pretty decent shape for around the $450 area. Definately worth the money (and more) IMO. Nice guitars.

If you really want to 'push the boat out' Guild-wise, consider a vintage D-50, or even the newer ones from Corona, Ca. are pretty good as well. They'll set you back quite a bit more than the D4 though.

titanNV

Reaction score
When I buy a D50 I'll have to do so in person versus on line. They are hard to find under $1000 - even stretching to $1500 online.

Right now I'm debating the D4 vs DV6. Price difference is abt $100. Both '90s Westerly built in similar condition. I'd almost opt for the DV6 but I already have a couple of solid mahogany b/s guitars. I think I want an arch back. That and the DV6 has those gold tuners. Yes they are replaceable but I don't like changing and original guitar purely for aesthetics. Hmmmm..... decisions decisions

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
One of the players at the open mic where I play has a D4, and he really makes it sing. It sounds terrific. $500 for something that sounds like that seems reasonable to me.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think I want an arch back. Hmmmm..... decisions decisions
If it helps, it's been discussed here beofre, and the "in a nutshell" is that an archback brings out a lushness when strummed that's not possible with flatback. The shape emphasizes overtones and prolongs sustain, which may also be desirable when playing scales/solos.
A flatback is thought to be more desirable for fingerpicking where individual note definition is sought, "unclouded" by other notes still sustaining in the body.
It also has a focused, more "punchy" sound when playing chords.
Ask the guy who has one of each: me.
I'd sell the D40 before the D25, but then I'll never sell the D25.
Some of that's emotional, but the D25 is flat-out more versatile for me.
I do like the '40 more and more as time goes on, and after a few years of ownership, the analogy I came up with is that sonically an archback's like a parachute flare, lights up everything from above, but a flatbacks's like a searchlight, a tight focused beam.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
If it helps, it's been discussed here beofre, and the "in a nutshell" is that an archback brings out a lushness when strummed that's not possible with flatback. The shape emphasizes overtones and prolongs sustain, which may also be desirable when playing scales/solos.
A flatback is thought to be more desirable for fingerpicking where individual note definition is sought, "unclouded" by other notes still sustaining in the body.
It also has a focused, more "punchy" sound when playing chords.
Ask the guy who has one of each: me.
I'd sell the D40 before the D25, but then I'll never sell the D25.
Some of that's emotional, but the D25 is flat-out more versatile for me.
I do like the '40 more and more as time goes on, and after a few years of ownership, the analogy I came up with is that sonically an archback's like a parachute flare, lights up everything from above, but a flatbacks's like a searchlight, a tight focused beam.

I am with Al. I own both varieties as well and this pretty well sums it up. If the D-4 is in good condition, $500 is pretty reasonable price. I bought one a few years back for $350 with case, but that was on CL and the top had been re-finished. However, that thing was a volume and sustain machine. Has a super comfy neck too. I gigged the heck out of it.
I also own a '79 arch back D25ch that is unreal and a D30 arched back that is a gem. Much love for the arched backs here. Though my GAD25 is a flat back and it is tight and focused in its sound with lots of balance.

Reaction score
Hi to the group.. I'm a first time poster from Maine, after just buying my first Guild. First: a confession - I'm a keyboard player who loves and collects guitars, but can only strum a few chords. I'd like your advice on what I have. I just bought a D4-NT HR mahog, serial # AD403267. I think that makes it around a 1998. It's pretty much unplayed, not a mark on it with the plastic still on the pick-guard and the tags still in the case. Not a crack or blemish to be found, and a player told me it had a wonderful low action. It came with its' original solid case, and I paid $525. Signed by George Strait, which is maybe why the first owner tucked it away. My question: The top is a rich, dark color. Is it indeed a mahogany top, rather than the advertised spruce in the spec sheet? To the learned player... does this offer a different tone than spruce? I've enjoyed reading your posts...thanks for any thoughts you might have!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My question: The top is a rich, dark color. Is it indeed a mahogany top, rather than the advertised spruce in the spec sheet? To the learned player... does this offer a different tone than spruce? I've enjoyed reading your posts...thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Love the D4 - wife has one as does a nephew. As far as I know the tops were always spruce.

Post some photos (instructions here) and the rest of the LTG world will weigh in ....

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I've owned several D4s and all the tops were spruce, as the spec sheet says. Mahogany back and sides.

Too bad about the George Strait signature but that's just me. Autographs on guitars have been discussed many times on this forum so maybe this will reopen that can of worms. :eek:nthego:

*And yes, we'd love to see pics!

Enjoy,
Joe

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just bought a D4-NT HR mahog, serial # AD403267. My question: The top is a rich, dark color. Is it indeed a mahogany top, rather than the advertised spruce in the spec sheet?

Hello badplayer,

Welcome! Your D4-NT-HR Mahog. has indeed a mahogany top. Different tone than spruce, but not necessarily better or worse; a matter of taste!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Hello badplayer,

Welcome! Your D4-NT-HR Mahog. has indeed a mahogany top. Different tone than spruce, but not necessarily better or worse; a matter of taste!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thank you Hans.. and to all that responded. As I mentioned, it's 18 yeas old and mostly unplayed. The plastic is still on the pickguard and tags still in the case... a few have played it and loved the action and comfort, and said the neck and intonation were spot on. Now I'll wonder how prevalent the mahogany model was. And yes to Killdeer's comment about autographed guitars: I love George Straits' music, and his signature IS much better penmanship than mine, but I'll just have to use the signed guitar as a conversation piece. I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner ventured that it might have originated at a charity auction, or from some premium ticket package that included a meet n greet, etc. The local guitar guy thought it's a much better guitar than would have been used as some promotional item. If I were more tech savvy, I'd upload a few pics... but to the group: My thanks, and best wishes!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you Hans.. and to all that responded. As I mentioned, it's 18 yeas old and mostly unplayed. The plastic is still on the pickguard and tags still in the case... a few have played it and loved the action and comfort, and said the neck and intonation were spot on. Now I'll wonder how prevalent the mahogany model was. And yes to Killdeer's comment about autographed guitars: I love George Straits' music, and his signature IS much better penmanship than mine, but I'll just have to use the signed guitar as a conversation piece. I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner ventured that it might have originated at a charity auction, or from some premium ticket package that included a meet n greet, etc. The local guitar guy thought it's a much better guitar than would have been used as some promotional item. If I were more tech savvy, I'd upload a few pics... but to the group: My thanks, and best wishes!

Welcome, Badplayer. You'll find this a great community. I am with Killdeer on the signature. For a lot of folks that is a value add, but to me it just doesn't really do anything.. I will say I hope you become tech savvy enough to share photos as I for one have never heard of a hog top D-4 and would love to see it. I owned a D-4 for a couple of years and loved it. Wish I hadn't sold it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey badplayer, I'll also say welcome and add that I've never seen a mahogany topped D4 either. Photos would be GREAT! Start a new thread with your introduction and photos! We'll be waiting..... :encouragement: