Learning to

6&12

Reaction score
Hey Bikerdoc, your tune is good! Your playing sounds plenty smooth to me, with some nice embellishments. Nothing to feel bad about there, my friend. There are lots of techniques for mastering new-to-you chord changes, just do some research and you'll find what's right for you. Another thing to consider is going to a music camp. It's a great, focused learning experience plus a lottta lotta fun. Play on, Brother!

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you get a positive reaction when you play, Doc, you must be doing something right. There are plenty of great songs to learn that don't require difficult chords. I just learned Folsom Prison Blues - pretty easy, but a blast to play, and a great song.

If you are playing a "simple" song with feeling and emotion, I'd rather hear you play than someone who has all the "chops" but plays without feeling and seems to be going through the motions. If you are enjoying yourself, play on! And if others enjoy hearing you play, then they must be able to tell you are not "posing", but simply sharing your love of a particular song with them.

walrus

Gotta agree with Walrus, Doc. We're fortunate to live in an area where each restaurant/venue has a picker/singer/songwriter in the corner providing entertainment as you eat/drink/shoot the breeze etc. There are times I'm initially envious of those who seem so technically advanced, but on many occasions I've subsequently wandered into a place to become totally enthralled by a humble fellow singing a special song-written tune accompanied by basic cowboy chords. It is quite easy to locate 'entertainment', but the meaningful, memorable moment occurs when I unexpectedly find real music that comes not from the guitar, but from the heart... IMO, you appear to be of the latter.

Scratch sends best regards

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It is quite easy to locate 'entertainment', but the meaningful, memorable moment occurs when I unexpectedly find real music that comes not from the guitar, but from the heart...
I'm with you on that, Ken.
A lot of "entertainment" today has me looking for a way out the door.
A guy/gal with a guitar and good lyrics can entertain me for a long time.
No smoke and mirrors, just give me a simple, heartfelt song and I'll follow you anywhere. :rugby:

Joe