12 strings D25 v Jf55

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my 12 string and am drawn towards W.R.I versions of the two models above.

Both look very different, but that aside, the biggest question in my mind is, will the archback build of the otherwise plain Jane D25 sound better than the two piece back of the more ostentatious Jf55.

Confused, because Jf55 was considered top of the range at the same time the D25 was in production, but I would have thought the archback was more difficult to build.

Has anybody out there experience of both models?

charliea

Reaction score
Sounding better is strictly subjective. Try both, and decide for yourself. Both a Fiat and a Ferrari will (maybe with the aid of costly mechanics and staggeringly expensive parts) get you from point A to point B. The Ferrari provides some luxury and comfort, along with a bunch of intangibles, for the extra money. Worth it? Up to you. Guild archbacks aren't so expensive to produce. They're machine pressed using a multiply back. The two guitars sound very, very different.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
First post WELCOME TO LTG! :eagerness:
Good advice from Charlie to get you started.
Bottom line: the ball is in your court to decide which one works for you, which one fits your grip and pleases your ears.
"Plain Jane" vs. "ostentatious?" Which one are you?

Let us know which you decide on and shoot a few pics our way....we love pics of guitars.

Joe

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG. You are speaking very different wood selections. The JF-55-12 was a different name for the F-512 and has solid Rosewood back and sides with a AAA spruce top. Big 17" wide Jumbo body.
The D-25-12 has a laminated arched back mahogany body with solid spruce top and is 15 3/4" wide. They are also knows for good loud sound.
So it's a tough decission but the "better" guitar would be the JF-55-12, however the D-25-12 is most probably the more economic decission and it's up to you if you prefer a Jumbo or Dreadnaught style.
You can't go really wrong with either...
Ralf

Neal

Reaction score
I own an '81 D-212 (the earlier model designation of the D-25-12) and it is a monster. Huge tone, and really nice playability.

I have also owned two of the higher-end G-Shield Guilds (F-50R and F-412) and sold both.

You may draw your own conclusion. It is purely a matter of personal taste.

Neal

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hugely different beasts there, Nick. Materials, body style... They really sound different.

There's also a significant difference in price here. The JF-55-12 is much more expensive, all things being equal.

So, a comparison like this is too broad for any of us to try to tell you which you'd like more. There's also the ergonomic difference of playing a Guild dread vs. jumbo.

All I will say is that I've never steered anyone wrong recommending the iconic sound of the JF-55-12/F-512, *except* that the size of a jumbo is not suitable for everyone.