1960's F-30

aamapes

Reaction score
A shop near me has a sweet old Guild F-30 NT for sale. It's tone is wonderful, but the headstock veneer is peeling really badly. The "Guild" and chesterfield inlay are mostly gone. This one was made in Hoboken.

The store wants what seems like a high price for it. Not sure if it's OK to talk prices here, but they have it marked 2 hundred north of a grand.

Anyone have some perspective for me on the value of an F-30 of this age?

Thanks, Alan

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome again. Talking prices is OK. If you don't want the Entire Internet to see the discussion you can always post in the Members Only section and then the audience is restricted to LTG members who log in. I don't know what a good price is and whatever I thought would be modified by the condition, so pictures would help if you can get them. Some of the '60's electrics had problems with the headstock overlay but I don't know whether the same causes would apply to this guitar or not. But on the electrics a lot of folks look at the repair options and decide to live with it as it is.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of the '60's electrics had problems with the headstock overlay.
It's not a problem, it's a "feature"! Because it's somewhat natural that a celluloid sheet shrinks over time, the headstock overlay was made from black celluloid. And depending on the climatic conditions that guitar was stored in during the last 50 years you see that effect more or less on those guitars.
Ralf

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a 1969 Hoboken F 30 I just sold. I'll share some specifics with you. I bought it for $1,200 and sold it for the same. It had the same headstock peeling issue but mine was completely salvageable. My Luthier made the repair and it was good to go. I disclosed the repair when I sold and the buyer loves his F 30.

Others may disagree, but I don't think $1,200 is excessive if there are no other issues with the guitar like neck angle, fret condition, unrepaired cracks etc.