Thunder RVT half power on heaters and DC voltages

Danohss

Reaction score
Working on a Thunder RVT, I only have 3.3 volts on my heater circuit which I assume is giving me only half of the DC voltage coming out of the rectifier tube. Wiring checks out all the way through the heater circuit, wondering if anyone can share thoughts on what would cause the heater voltage out of the tranny to be 3.3. Hum pot issue? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I will merge this thread with the older thread when I get back. Not having looked at mine in a while, if it has a hum balance pot, and it is all the way to one side of the range, it'll short out one side of the heater string. That pot should be set in the middle of it's range. That would not have anything to do with the high voltage, that is a separate winding. Your meter is set to read ac and you have a probe on both sides of the heaters?

Danohss

Reaction score
Yes, the heaters can only get to 3.2 volts, I have 170 V AC on pins 1 and 7 of the rectifier and only gettin 170DC out. Wondering if the hum balance pot is bad and sending too much of the heater voltage to ground, if the heaters are only getting to 3 Volts would that cut the output of the tube in half? More importantly, should I have more than 170 VAC on pins 1 and 7 to ground?

Danohss

Reaction score
Update,kid connected the filament heater leads from the hum balance pot, I only get voltage on one of them - 3.6VAC to ground. The other has less than 1 VAC. I am now assuming that the filament winding of the power tranny has gone bad, thus only half the filament heater volts which should equal half the free electrons available which would equal half of the3 expected DC voltage out. Correct assumption? Ne=X the issue is if/where/how top find a replacement power transformer.