'73 Gibson Hummingbird: Any Obvious Issues?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Daniel, if we can push you into a Guild then we will have done our jobs! :)

Gee, an F-50 Standard is a super suggestion. Certainly a better idea than a hurtin' hummingbird.

Hell, I'd spend your money on that in a minute! :)

deebeewhy

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of the F-50 standard, isn't the standard topped with Sitka, but traditional and orpheum are red? That strikes me as a non-tirival difference. Thoughts?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the lead! I have an irrational bias against cutaways, maybe because I rarely go past 12th. What do y'all make of this offering out of Minnesota on Reverb. A new 2010 (at $1599)? I checked with seller - not a typo.
https://reverb.com/item/160864-guild-f-50-std-2010-natural-blonde

That one looks to be a year older, no cutaway, no electronics, and $600 more (assuming you can get the eBay seller to $1000, which you almost surely can). Does the Reverb guitar come with a factory warranty? According to Guild's website, the Reverb seller isn't an authorized dealer, so I'm guessing it doesn't. That seals the deal for me.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well HOLY CRAP!! I didn't even know they made F50's with a cutaway!! I'm lovin' that guitar!! And a burst, too! Someone buy this guitar, please? Save me, save me...... :encouragement:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well HOLY CRAP!! I didn't even know they made F50's with a cutaway!! I'm lovin' that guitar!! And a burst, too! Someone buy this guitar, please? Save me, save me...... :encouragement:

Me too Tom! I don't have a maple in the herd presently, and know how good these are after playing Steve's. I need another guitar like a hole in the head right now, and I'm STILL on the verge of making the seller an offer.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
God help me, I just bought it! If you REALLY want it deebeewhy, shoot me a PM, and I'll have it directed your way.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, thanks for doing that. You're a real friend and thanks for taking one for the team. A HUGE weight has been lifted from my shoulders!! That's an AWESOME guitar!! :encouragement:

Neal

Reaction score
I own the non-cutaway version of the F-50 Std and man, I can't put it down.

Even though it is hell to lug around to open mic nights (I have to stop walking every 100 yards or so to switch hands), it has just awe-inspiring bottom end that plays well to a roomful of loud drinkers. Pretty easy on the eyes too.

Neal

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, thanks for doing that. You're a real friend and thanks for taking one for the team. A HUGE weight has been lifted from my shoulders!! That's an AWESOME guitar!! :encouragement:

It really is Tom, especially for $1K all in. This one has been gnawing at me ever since I saw it listed. And hey, you've already got a maple Guild, and I don't!

I own the non-cutaway version of the F-50 Std and man, I can't put it down.

Even though it is hell to lug around to open mic nights (I have to stop walking every 100 yards or so to switch hands), it has just awe-inspiring bottom end that plays well to a roomful of loud drinkers. Pretty easy on the eyes too.

Neal

Neal, I've had these on my radar ever since I played default's F50ce, and I'm hoping this one is as nice. It sure is pretty too, and I'm not a huge burst fan either. You don't see them for sale that often either, especially for this kind of coin. I literally couldn't stop myself.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
God help me, I just bought it!
Ha, ha, that was fast! Congratulations!
And what a deal. In the Jan 2012 price list the F-50CE STD ATB had a MSRP of $3,149.99 and in Feb 2013 already $3,449.99.
Ralf

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Oh! He used to be MUCH faster..... the ad threads never could reach page 2 until he told everyone to stop thinking about it because he owned it already! LOL

Congrats Sandy let us know how it sounds!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And what a deal. In the Jan 2012 price list the D-50CE STD ATB had a MSRP of $3,049.99 and in Feb 2013 already $3,449.99.
Ralf

Interesting Ralf. I'm assuming the burst, the electronics, and the cutaway were an upcharge from the "regular" F50 Standard? Where do you source your price lists?

Oh! He used to be MUCH faster..... the ad threads never could reach page 2 until he told everyone to stop thinking about it because he owned it already! LOL

LOL I'll admit I have slowed down a bit Pascal. I know I wouldn't have bought this one if I hadn't played Steve's and it was so nice. Damn you Steve!

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm assuming the burst, the electronics, and the cutaway were an upcharge from the "regular" F50 Standard? Where do you source your price lists?
Those are the official pricelists that were on the Guild webpage. I had however an error as I posted the D-50CE prices above...

Here is again the corrected pricing, the standard F-50 vs the F-50CE: $50 adder for ATB vs Blonde and $300 adder for the cutaway and pickup.

Jan 2012 price list:
F-50 STD Blonde: $2,799.99
F-50 STD ATB: $2,849.99
F-50CE STD Blonde: $3,099.99
F-50CE STD ATB: $3,149.99

Feb 2013 price list:
F-50 STD was not in the price list anymore.
F-50CE STD Blonde: $3,399.99
F-50CE STD ATB: $3,449.99

Ralf

Last edited: