'73 Gibson Hummingbird: Any Obvious Issues?

deebeewhy

Reaction score
This is at an Arizona GC, with very little info about the instrument's history, even on request. I did get these additional pics, though. Thoughts?

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/dby3/media/IMG_3139_zpsrotrauai.jpg.html?filters[user]=143681835&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/dby3/media/IMG_3140-2_zpsjntovqzz.jpg.html?filters[user]=143681835&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=4

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/dby3/media/IMG_3141-3_zpsl4oeqybe.jpg.html?filters[user]=143681835&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
deebeewhy emailed me the photos. Here they are. That saddle is TALL for a 42 year old guitar! They don't really tell me much. Maybe those better than I (everyone) can spot something. :encouragement:

Q75QnK.jpg

R6qgUt.jpg

jdeuUT.jpg

That photo of the bridge shot upwards is strange to me. The top of the bridge looks FLAT and the bottom of the bridge looks like it has the shape to it..... like it's upside down!! Must be a photo angle thing, right?

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice, a natural top Hbird. I had a sunburst one. Gave it to a friend. He loves it. Gibson does mahogany well too! The J45 was just pure genius. Sorry I cannot speak to condition of that Hbird, looks fine to me but no way to tell neck angle or action.

gilded

Reaction score
Uh, here's a pic of another '73 Hummingbird Bridge that taller and more 'gibson' looking:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4430128_vintage-1973-gibson-hummingbird-custom-guitar

My guess is that somebody shaved down the bridge. Then, at a later time, somebody re-set the neck. It looks like they set it too high, but on the other hand, too much saddle may be showing because the previously-shaved bridge is too low and the saddle would have a 'normal height with a normal bridge'. Just a guess, though. Gibson did some wicked things in that era!

That's not the worst of it. From '68-'70 on, Gibson used the infamous double X bracing, thinner tops, huge laminated bridge plates and a weird ultraviolet light system to activate the glues on the bracing of the tops of HBirds, J-45s and 50's, maybe even J200s . They usually sound terrible. There are always exceptions, but man, I've had some of those guitars and it ain't good. The typical scenario is that you hear them in the store and think, ' Hah, these strings are dead. If I just change the strings, it'll sound great!' But..the..new.. strings.. don't..sound..better..at..all. Apologize, if I'm offending late '60's thru '70's Gibson owners. No flames, please.

Do you have pics of the neck? Of the neck heel? Ask for some and maybe you can see if the neck has been re-set.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guess is that somebody shaved down the bridge. Then, at a later time, somebody re-set the neck. It looks like they set it too high, but on the other hand, too much saddle may be showing because the previously-shaved bridge is too low and the saddle would have a 'normal height with a normal bridge'.
Harry, I think you're absolutely right on that! It looks like the bridge has been shaved down, then the neck reset without replacing the bridge with a normal thickness one. But this is all guesswork on our parts.... but I think it's GOOD guesswork!! :encouragement:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A BIG +1 to what gilded said. Not too many good acoustic guitars left the factory during that time. Like and Gibson, I would definitely want to play it first, but then again GC has a pretty bomb proof return policy.

gilded

Reaction score
Chazmo, you are right. I saw the tall shadows from the guard, but put it down to 'hyper-critical mode' and let it go.

You got to go back to about '57 or '58, before the Gibsons don't do really cheese-y stuff with the braces. Oh, they stopped scalloping in '54-55 or so, but I had a '59 J50 with fake X bracing!! It had one long X-brace and two short ones, which means that the main bracing didn't function with true X-brace stiffness. The covered up the usual X-brace 'notch' with a cloth doillie, so you couldn't see the change.

It's not that they were terrible guitars, far from it, but if you know what to listen to, they sound tubbier than the earlier ones.

Of course, that didn't stop James Taylor from recording his first album with a 1960 J50 with the pick guard removed. As I recall, he sounded pretty darn good!!
And all of the '60's Gibsons may well be the same way!

deebeewhy

Reaction score
Thanks all. A tech at the Avondale, AZ GC said he didn't know its history, suspected the neck had been reset, and said it "played well and sounded pretty good." Not the sort of enthusiasm i was hoping for. Thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge on me - needless to say, I will pass on this guitar. Fish in the sea, etc.
Daniel

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all. A tech at the Avondale, AZ GC said he didn't know its history, suspected the neck had been reset, and said it "played well and sounded pretty good." Not the sort of enthusiasm i was hoping for. Thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge on me - needless to say, I will pass on this guitar. Fish in the sea, etc.
Daniel

You need a Guild in that sig Daniel! Let us get to work, we're great at spending other people's money here :smile-new:

Now, just tell us what you want. A hog dread perhaps?

gilded

Reaction score
Sandy, according to his signature list, we're gonna have to find him a new guitar!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let us get to work, we're great at spending other people's money here :smile-new:
Honest, Daniel.... they've spent my money before! I have never been so happy when these guys found guitars for me!! I wasn't even in the market for another guitar. I'd just bought my Taylor a couple of years before.... then I got an email from twocorgis..... the rest is history! Not saying you HAVE to buy a Guild, but... that's what we're good at. :encouragement:

deebeewhy

Reaction score
F-50 traditional or orpheum sounds (really) good. I am happy to have the nudge from the mob at LTG toward a Guild, especially since I have fallen into a mode of inaction, where everything has to be just so, and the prospect of returning a guitar seems ominous. Sounds lame, I know.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
F-50 traditional or orpheum sounds (really) good. I am happy to have the nudge from the mob at LTG toward a Guild, especially since I have fallen into a mode of inaction, where everything has to be just so, and the prospect of returning a guitar seems ominous. Sounds lame, I know.

Mow about a nice sunburst F50 Standard with a cutaway and electronics installed for a nice price Daniel?

$_57.JPG

I've played default's, and it's a great guitar. The seller's even entertaining offers!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mow about a nice sunburst F50 Standard with a cutaway and electronics installed for a nice price Daniel? The seller's even entertaining offers!
That's a nice looking one for a great price, if I read the label correct it is a NO343xxx serial number which means an end of 2011 made guitar.
Should Daniel buy it he just needs to know that the truss rod cover is mounted wrongly upside down.
Ralf

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a nice looking one for a great price, if I read the label correct it is a NO343xxx serial number which means an end of 2011 made guitar.
Should Daniel buy it he just needs to know that the truss rod cover is mounted wrongly upside down.
Ralf

Yes, I forgot to note that Ralf. I even sent the seller a message! I'm tempted to buy this one myself.

Last edited: