Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Westerly Collection Serial Number "Decoder"

Ah, SFIV, you are man of some perception!

TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation! Yes, it was noticed from the very beginning of the Newark St. and the Westerly Collection in 2014 that the years and years in the serial numbers were somewhat off from each other. Like they forgot to change the dates when a year changed...Because I can't believe that they had loads produced in inventory before they inspected them and that would explain a 6 month difference.
    Had the QC tag also red Chinese stamps on it?
    Ralf
    No red Chinese stamps on the tag. Just various blue and red stamped numbers and a date. GREE supposedly produces about 13,000 guitars per month. I agree that they are almost certainly not building inventory ahead of time and waiting to inspect it for months. That could be a LOT of guitars. I think that the most likely reason there is a discrepancy between the serial number and the production year, is that they aren't related. The case had a "Pass Certificate" in it dating from about a month before the guitar hang tag. I suspect that as soon as the guitar was completed, it was inspected, cased, boxed, and shipped.

Another possible explanation for the "15" in the serial number of a guitar inspected in late April of 2016 is that the number corresponds to some sort of internal order number dating from 2015.
    Last edited by Big-Al; 06-07-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Saying goodbye.

I’ll add to this if can help when I get my guitar even if it goes back lol

Hi Ralf,
    what about my GAD:

Would this be No. 96, built 09/20/2013 ?
    That would mean there were two month between built and quality control.

Moritz
    Last edited by cutrofiano; 06-07-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Ah, SFIV, you are man of some perception!

BUT can he crush golf balls with his bare hands?
    LOVE THAT SCENE!
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by cutrofiano View Post
    Hi Ralf,
    what about my GAD:

Would this be No. 96, built 09/20/2013 ?
    That would mean there were two month between built and quality control.

Moritz
    I do definitely recall that the GAD's under Fender used a system that tied those numbers on the block to a purchase order number from Fender, and they didn't contain an embedded date code.
    Unless my memory's in error.
    But 99.9% sure Ralf also found a decoder system for those, as well, because prior to that the only way to know was to contact Fender's corporate headquarters in Scottsdale AZ.
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I do definitely recall that the GAD's under Fender used a system that tied those numbers on the block to a purchase order number from Fender, and they didn't contain an embedded date code.
    Unless my memory's in error. But 99.9% sure Ralf also found a decoder system for those, as well...
    Hi Al, you only remember part of the story. GAD model had two numbers, one on the round label in the soundhole and a second on the neck block. The GAD number on the label is a factory internal number, the date information is on the neck block inside the body.

All GAD instruments are stamped with a 10 digit manufacturing number located inside at the base of the neck heel block. This number embodies production information about the instrument.
    In Moritz' example above the first two digits of this number identify the production year. 13 stands for 2013.
    The second two digits identify the production month. In this case, 09 is September.
    The next two digits, 20, are of no significance and are an internal number used to identify an order number. (so it is not the day of the month)
    The last four digits identify the unit number of this specific order. In this case, 96 would stand for the 96th instrument made to the 20th order.

Ralf

Ah - dankeschön Ralf :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cutrofiano View Post
    Ah - dankeschön Ralf :-)
    Yep!
    This really oughta be a sticky somewhere, gonna nominate it shortly.
    Al
    All bought new!

Just to recall a previous post from Ralf about the earlier GAD series during the Fender era. This doesn't apply to the Westerly series, I think, but putting it here for posterity, and I'm going to pin this thread:

You actually don't need a serial number list for GADs! It's all printed inside the GAD! The real manufacturing date is actually coded in the manufacturing number that is internally stamped on the base of the heel block! So you need to use a lamp and a mirror most probably.
    FMIC's hotline just doesn't know that...We actually discussed this quite a few times here already.

The GAD manufacturing info is not on the label (that's just a factory number) but on the neck block inside the body!
    All GAD instruments are stamped with a 10 digit internal manufacturing number located inside at the base of the heel block. This number embodies production information about the instrument.
    As an example, we’ll use a random number 1104330026.
    The first two digits of this number identify the production year. In this case, 11 would stand for 2011.
    The second two digits identify the production month. In this case, 04 would stand for April.
    The next two digits, 33, are of no significance and are an internal number used by the vendor to identify their order number.
    The last four digits identify the unit number of the order. In this case, 26 would stand for the 26th instrument made to the 33rd order.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655