A band's bass player and guitar player got into a fight...

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Home recording time

screen-shot-2018-01-26-at-15.45.24.jpg

Eyebrows still no match for Brooke Shields ;-)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to be careful posting banjo jokes on FB because my nephew (actually Don's nephew) is multi-Grammy Award winning banjo player, Rob McCoury of The Dell McCoury Band and the Traveling McCourys. Super nice guy and he has a great sense of humor but i'm not sure i wanna test him. I piss off enough people without even trying!!! :devilish:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Apparently you don't know to many bass players!

As a bassist I've never met any other bassist like that. Most I know are very meticulous people. However I have met a few guitarist that not only couldn't tune properly, they didn't even care!

agreed. bass players are super meticulous.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
To be honest, I prefer playing bass in a band, you can see it get people moving ;-)

Agreed. Being a bass player in band situations, I've said this for a long time.

33598343888_f380c55e49_b.jpg

It's the truth, but it seems to go by a lot of folks.

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
As long as we're talking Hendrix and bass...

http://nfte.org/interviews/cs200.html
I think that when Chas Chandler was putting together The Experience, he was more concerned about how they would look, than the playing ability of the bass player and drummer. Mitch Mitchell was an excellent drummer (taught by Jim Marshall, of Marshall amp fame), but Noel Redding was quite limited.
As an aside, he shared a flat with Neville Chester, road manager for The Experience, and Lemmy, who, of course, later found fame with Hawkwind and Motorhead. This resulted In Lemmy getting a job as a roadie for the band:rugby:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think that when Chas Chandler was putting together The Experience, he was more concerned about how they would look, than the playing ability of the bass player and drummer. Mitch Mitchell was an excellent drummer (taught by Jim Marshall, of Marshall amp fame), but Noel Redding was quite limited.

To be fair, he was actually a guitarist and had in fact been in 3 bands prior to being tapped for Experience.
Sure the image was a big part of it, but he had to learn the instrument and caught on pretty quickly in my humble opinion.
Sure I don't recall anybody raving about his abilities the way they did Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle; nor do I recall any significant solos off the top of my head, but he also was a pretty decent songwriter and did manage to get 2 tunes onto albums:
"She's So Fine" and "Little Miss Strange"
And speaking of guitarists taking up bass, Jimi himself did just that on Noel's tunes, and on "All Along the Watchtower", along with other occasional jams:
3225606df071cfccbba732af1560d977.jpg

jimi-jpg.234036

(I realize you probably know all that, but there may still be some here who weren't aware)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As an aside, he shared a flat with Neville Chester, road manager for The Experience, and Lemmy, who, of course, later found fame with Hawkwind and Motorhead. This resulted In Lemmy getting a job as a roadie for the band:rugby:

Did somebody say Hawkwind? ;-)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Musician goes to club asking for gig.
Waitress asks : "Do you have hypnosis in your set?"
Musician was wondering but answered: "No - just regular dance music."
Waitress tells the musician to go to boss.

Boss asks immediately : "Do you have hypnosis in your set?"
Musician was wondering but answered: "No - just regular dance music."

Boss says : " OK - you can come next saturday. For technical details go see the house technician."

Technician was adjusting lights and musician tells that they are coming in next saturday.
technician asks : [FONT=&quot]"Do you have hypnosis in your set?"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Musician got heated and answered: "No - has never been and will never be - just regular dance music. Why is everybody asking?"

[/FONT]
Technician replied : "Well - last month we had a magician with mass hypnosis part in his set. House was full - at least 500 heads. In the middle of his hypnosis program he stooped by microphone cable and said "Oh sh%t" - We cleaned more than eight days ..."

Two fellas sit in a bar where a band is playing gypsy music. Violin player is playing Csardas by Vittorio Monti. One fellow thinks aloud that "I know this song, but can not recall the name of it. You go ask him what's he playing." The other guy balances to stage - talks to voilinist - returns to table saying : "Heshh plaayyingg viouolin."

Why are bass player jokes so short?
So guitar players can tell them and drummers can understand them.

A punk rocker was sitting in a bus - guitar case between his knees, leather jacket , bald headed except for a huge iroquois hairdo - which was green.
An old man comes to bus - and even though there were many empty seats, he went to sit next to rocker and began to stare at the iroquois hair.
Uncomfortable musician snapped to old man : "Don't ya get it old man - we young are like this - revolutionary!"
Old man replies . "Oh - I was radical in my youth - once while being sailor we betted with mates if it is possible to make love to parrot - and I won!"
"And now I'm wondering if you are my offspring."

two men were convicted to death and be electrocuted in chair. They both were laying in their cell waiting. A priest came to see them on last morning.
After usual speech he turns to first man and asks:

"Do you have last wish?"
"Yes - I love music - can you play me Polka before I die?"
"Of course my son." says priest.
Turning to next guy he asks again about last wish.
"Kill me first!"

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To be fair, he was actually a guitarist and had in fact been in 3 bands prior to being tapped for Experience.
Sure the image was a big part of it, but he had to learn the instrument and caught on pretty quickly in my humble opinion.
Sure I don't recall anybody raving about his abilities the way they did Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle; nor do I recall any significant solos off the top of my head, but he also was a pretty decent songwriter and did manage to get 2 tunes onto albums:
"She's So Fine" and "Little Miss Strange"
And speaking of guitarists taking up bass, Jimi himself did just that on Noel's tunes, and on "All Along the Watchtower", along with other occasional jams:
3225606df071cfccbba732af1560d977.jpg

jimi-jpg.234036

(I realize you probably know all that, but there may still be some here who weren't aware)

In Andy Summers' autobiography "One Train Later" (a great read!), he talks about jamming with Hendrix and Hendrix played bass guitar.

Former Police guitarist Andy Summers says jamming with icon Jimi Hendrix in a Hollywood studio was a “great moment” in his career.
It happened when Summers was in psychedelic rock band Dantalian’s Chariot in the 60s. They shared the same manager and when he heard Hendrix would be at TTG Studios in LA, Summers went down to see him in action.
He tells Rolling Stone: “Jimi was leaning against the studio window with his hat with a feather on it, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and his Strat at absolute roaring volume, just wailing. It was incredible. Surrealistic."

“Once he stopped playing we talked a little bit. He was very soft and shy. I walked out of the studio and Hendrix’s drummer Mitch Mitchell was there, and there was a right-handed guitar.

“Of course, he played the other way. So I pick up the guitar and I’m starting to jam with Mitchell. Jimi came out, picked up the bass and started playing along with us.
“I was like, ‘F**k, it’s Jimi Hendrix playing bass with me.’”
He continues: “It was a great moment, and after we did about 10 minutes, he said, ‘Hey, man. Do you mind if I played the guitar for a little bit?’ It was a bit intimidating, because everybody in the world worshipped him. That was the last time I saw him.”

walrus