Starfire II color ID help :)

Reaction score
Can someone identify this color?
I can't find a color list or chart on the late 90's reissues or the original from the 60's.

Any help would be appreciated :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI Justin I see a first post, welcome aboard!
I happen to have a '97 catalog with "chips" of the available colors printed in it.
Assuming it hasn't been re-finished (and it doesn't look like it from here) I'd say it's about a 99% certainty that's code 21, "Natural".
Although the catalog doesn't show that as an available color for a Starfire Bass II for that year, that means little, it could have been special ordered or it might have been "available" later on and we can confidently rule out "Amber"; "Cherry Sunburst"; "Tobacco Sunburst"; "Antique Sunburst" or "Transparent Red", and it's definitely not Gold or Blonde or White or Black.
That leaves Natural and it even matches pretty darn good.
Yours? New score?
Looks great!
What's the scoop?
:friendly_wink:
Update: Just checked out a 2001 price list and by then they'd added a couple of other possibles that I don't have chips for: code 15 "Chestnut" and code 50 "Opulent Brown".
If you happen to have the original Guild part number on a hangtag or receipt or something, the last 2 digits contain the color code, should look like: "350-7500-8xx"

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome!

"Natural" makes sense to me, too - that is some really nice looking grain on the back!

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice one! Beautiful one piece mahogany top and back on that one. Most from this generation are maple. Yes id call it natural or walnut, or possibly chestnut or brown, if they did actually use that term. Does the sticker inside the F hole say anything after SF Bass II...? (Nat or Wal or TPx?)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
possibly chestnut or brown, if they did actually use that term.
'01 pricelist, bottom of page 4:
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/files/Guild2001.pdf
Although they only show as being available on Benedettos, wording implies you could order special color on any instrument.
What's kind of interesting is that although Natural's most common on unstained spruce tops, the '97 color chip is definitely NOT unstained spruce.

Reaction score
Hey all, really appreciate all of the help and kind greetings.

To answer the questions:
I don't have the original hang tag or receipt. This was a one owner, who bought it as an investment before I acquired it.
I dig it, but I'm going to part with it in search or the perfect vintage Starfire.
Model just says Starfire Bass II.

I'm going to be posting this bass on here, talkbass and ebay tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Justin