Guild GAD/Westerly M120

Reaction score
Has anyone tried out the new Westerly M120s? I've seen a few older threads with similar questions, but I haven't seen many reviews, and many sites still seem to confuse the GAD with the Westerly.

I've been looking at a smaller Mahogany guitar, and I'm essentially between the Taylor GS Mini and the M120, but I was waiting to hear how the Westerly M120s measure up. Most stores here in New York don't stock the Guild, so I'm essentially going to try out the mini and, depending upon how I like it, either purchase it or get a M120 sight unseen from Sweetwater and hope for the best. Sam Ash also said they'd send one for a 45-day try-out period, but I'm not sure about their restocking fees.

I do some strumming, some finger-picking--basically looking for a guitar that can handle a bit of everything. The GS Mini looks nice, and the price is right, but I like some alternate tunings, and the shorter scale on the GS Mini is concerning in that regard.

I've found a solid bass, a solid electric...it's time to upgrade the acoustic. Of course, you can't expect a 2015 M120 to measure up to a vintage M20, but I'd definitely like a serious upgrade on my Epiphone AJ1. Any thoughts?

Best wishes.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
man I'm just mindless blabber and don't take this wrong as it's for just conversational purposes . I just don't dig the Taylor's I played many from low end to high and higher and I just don't feel them and I'm not sure what it is about them that makes me feel that way 😔

I had Gad f130r but it seemed to loose tone higher up the neck so I returned it but otherwise it sounded great so I'm saying just it could one of very few duds or I'm an overly picky person .

When it comes to small body sound there very direct in there tone and due to there size it's even more so important they don't have that boxy sound .

You can do a search for dealers. My personal tastes is all solid wood but hey who am I at the same time look for a used model Guild American and a return policy . These folks here will guide you well even if you don't buy a guild .

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!
I am not aware that a LTG member already got a Westerly Collection M-120 or M-120E in natural or cherry, there seem to be not many in real stores yet. (Easy to identify by the Chesterfield in the headstock.) So far most available still belong to the 2014 GAD series, no Chesterfield in the headstock veneer. A few stores in the UK and Germany seem to have them already as does a very few big stores in the US.

Ralf

Bigdog409

Reaction score
I would say hold off for another 6 months and buy a new M20 when they start selling from the Oxnard factory.

Neal

Reaction score
One big difference between the Taylor GS Mini and the Guild M-120, is that the Taylor's back and sides are made of sapele laminate, while the Guild's is made from solid mahogany.

Used M-120's can be found on reputable sites like Reverb for under $400, with a really nice hard-shell case. I owned one for about a year, and it was a fun little guitar.

Neal

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The GAD/M-120 is a great guitar. I have personally played one or 2 as well as professional musicians I know. They could be hit or miss piece to piece but u can say the same about American made guitars as well. The poly finish on them seems to be well done and they are a nice sounding guitar, and nice to play. The Taylor mini is nice but I prefer the standard scale lengths and would not personally buy a guitar with an "extra short scale" which you mentioned yourself as a possible orange flag.

Where in New York are you? Sam Ash should stock them, they have for the last few years but they do sell fast. They may be waiting on the "Westerly Collection M-120" which should be the same thing essentially. Also try Ludlow Guitars or Rocky Street Sounds (by appointment only) as well as Retrofret...if u are in the city. Good luck!

Reaction score
The GAD/M-120 is a great guitar. I have personally played one or 2 as well as professional musicians I know. They could be hit or miss piece to piece but u can say the same about American made guitars as well. The poly finish on them seems to be well done and they are a nice sounding guitar, and nice to play. The Taylor mini is nice but I prefer the standard scale lengths and would not personally buy a guitar with an "extra short scale" which you mentioned yourself as a possible orange flag.

Where in New York are you? Sam Ash should stock them, they have for the last few years but they do sell fast. They may be waiting on the "Westerly Collection M-120" which should be the same thing essentially. Also try Ludlow Guitars or Rocky Street Sounds (by appointment only) as well as Retrofret...if u are in the city. Good luck!

I'm in Queens. I gave a call to Sam Ash, but the rep only told me that they have the GS Mini Mahogany in stock, and they have a M120, but only at the Warehouse. I'll look into the city dealers, though.

I actually didn't know that the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany model had laminated sapele back and sides, unless you're talking about the sapele top version. Most spec sheets for the Mini M claimed mahogany.

Rayk, I value your opinion. I've watched a fair number of videos of the GS Mini, and quite a few have had a kind of fret buzz, probably due to the short scale, so that's definitely something I don't want. I'm going to check out Sam Ash tomorrow to see how the GS Mini feels. Going to take a look at some others. I'm hoping they have a few Guild models in stock so I can get a feel for them in general.

The GAD M120s had a certain sound in the Guild-produced videos. With the Westerly M120, there was a slightly different character that I preferred. Of course, that could be caused by everything from the strings, to the mics, to the encoding. Never a true representation, just an idea.

I suppose there's not any idea as to what the new Oxnard-produced M20s will cost?

Thanks a lot, guys. They might be biased opinions, but they're just confirming my own thoughts anyhow.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I actually didn't know that the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany model had laminated sapele back and sides, unless you're talking about the sapele top version. Most spec sheets for the Mini M claimed mahogany.
Just look at the Taylor site: It shows "layered Sapele back/sides.": https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/series/gs-mini

I suppose there's not any idea as to what the new Oxnard-produced M20s will cost?
Sure there is: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?186379-Oxnard-Factory&p=1692227&viewfull=1#post1692227

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score

Thanks for that. I actually didn't know...I guess that's what I get for not going straight to the source or, well, even just reading more closely. They claim it's to make the guitar more resilient to climate changes, but they do admit it loses some tonal complexity. Interesting!

As for the M20, man, that's really tempting. I might have to hold off though...student loans are killing me, so it's difficult to drop ~$1000 on a guitar, even if it's a beauty of a Guild. Thank you for all of the information and advice.

JasonG

Reaction score
I work at Sam Ash in Huntington NY. I am the guitar department manager. I have not only owned a GAD M120, I have a NH F-20. We also have in stock the Westerly M-120s. It is a sweet guitar. There are a few noticeable differences. One being the new M120 has a slightly wider neck vs the GAD. The new Westerly comes with a soft case (polyfoam gig bag) vs the GAD's TKL HSC. I really like the softcase personally and I want one for my F20. The GS Minis are great guitars, but it is tough to compare IMHO as the Guild being all solid wood is just a great playing and sounding little guitar. I have the itch for another little guitar and almost picked on the Westerly M120 but I am going to wait for the Oxnard M20. I dont think you would go wrong with the Westerly M120 IMHO.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have to correct what I said about about the F130r as I mentioned the tone going out the farther up the neck I went .

I think it was fine and more me just not being used to a smaller body guitar and it's sound .

At the time I was going through a shipping war with a few guitars and I got scared not knowing for sure if that's what I wanted .

I had realize this after re listening to the one song I recorded with it though it was played plugged in with its onboard electronics I should have got the same tone issue I thought it had as played but did not .
So I guess it was just me not being sure and me being a little paranoid of putting setup costs into a mentally unsure purchase of what I really wanted . 😔

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've gone through a few guitars by mail no one had anything solid wood in my price range . When you've only bought laminated guitars your 30yrs not really knowing any better because I never was in a band or had music mates of any kind .

I just got what I could afford being single and only making like 30, a year that does leave much for a budget . I'm married now and things are 2 yrs back got my first all solid wood guitar .

In that hunt I learned a bit but still spending over a grand on a guitar was still unheard of and my wife did not care for that either . So that first all solid wood guitar was the Epiphone DR500MCE and was loads better then any other guitar I had previously.

Now I was hooked . I been recording which only started in 09 trees never cared what I played before hand lol .
Anyway so now that I knew solid wood was the way to go and I felt my music was getting better I wanted another guitar to compliment the Epi and now a whole new search started but I still had no real hands on experience though I been researching solid wood guitars ever since along with builds , wood types , bracing anything else I find out .

Only bad part is memory only works to retain info only if I stay working on it otherwise all I learned drifts a way or hangs in the shadows .

Now yeah I backed tracked a bit but its relevant. So being still in a hands on learning curve and price range limit my choices for 1,000 range was not a lot .

My brother in law a while back mentioned Blueridge he has a PHD in music and to him Blueridge had the build quality and sound that impressed him so that stuck in my mind but others mentioned it as well.

Ok so after losing cash via shipping expenses since no one stocked **** around me I was getting worried started over thinking . How much more was I to waste doing this .

Before the F130r I had a few go back so when I had that I just was overly confident about it remember I'm only used to dreads and jumbos laminated of coarse .

Being on the fence and knowing I would have to it set up I freaked out and sent it back . Now one thing that steers this whole experience is the Blueridge .

I started this whole adventure with that guitar leading the way and just tried cheaper ones first . After the f130 went back I tried the Yamaha LL16 it was good finger picking and the pre aged top but it was engleman and could take the strumming also it had defects my luck prevails as always .

At this point I said one last guitar bought the Blueridge feel in love but as my luck and my picky a$$ had it the bridge needed work pins were drilled wrong so it had be replaced I chose out my pocket to do it since I could get another one at the time .

If I had more time with the F130 I might of kept it but for that guitar it just was not the right time.

I sure do love my F212XLCE so a new hunt begins again for the new 6 string Neil has offered to let make trip up to play his f47 and f30 . So we'll see if that's the way to go . What I learned is I love overtones and my Blueridge sings with them .

Sorry about the story did not how to make it short lol

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray - Your adventures sound to me like a man just trying to find the right fit.. Been there.. Maybe not to your exact particulars, but the buying and returning and selling... For sure.. I finally released my worries to the Guild Gods... And now it is really the only brand I am interested in for the most part.. Save for if the right well-priced Larrivee or Vintage Yairi comes along. I love some Martins, but I tend to be a big fan of high quality at a reasonable to low price.. I have never really given Blue Ridge a shot.. Sounds like you really like yours.. I will say I have picked up some well priced Recording Kings that I thought played nicely.. As far as Chinese guits go.

Neal

Reaction score
Rayk, I would never consider trying out a mail-order guitar and swallowing the price of mailing it back as a waste. I have done a bit of this as well, and consider the shipping costs as part of my education as to what I like, don't like, what fits my body and my style of playing, and what the different tonewood combinations offer.

I think of it as "renting" a guitar, and taking it for an extended testdrive (which is harder to do in a store) agaisnt what I already own. I really go for the places that offer free shipping to me and a 14-day no hassle return. 14 days for $40 worth of return shipping amounts to about $3/day to play the hell out of it and decide if it is worth what you paid. There is a lot of logic in that approach.

Neal

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah Neal learning lesson but what do think I had to do to buy Daps F212 ? Some times one has no choice . Sam ash is the only store done what close that had a Guild in house used but it was not a good one . Now I have better knowledge but chances are my next Guild will come from one of you even so we're back to mail order unless someone close ponies up local .

D30 yes sir fit could be the right description but I learn more to tone now that I have a good sounding dread I have a better understanding
of what I want next tone wise.

And you should try a Blueridge I played. Triple O laminated and was very surprised how good it sounded I can only imagine the solid rose woods models . Either way try one and see for your self 😃

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oops Neil messed that up a bit sorry brother I was just waking up and missed a few lines no coffee yet . Yeah renting I like that but it did cost me . If I just got the Blueridge first instead of last ... Hind sight right and more importantly if I knew about you guys earlier but if so I might had a 6 string and missed out on daps 12 string .... Dapmdave where are you sir missing around . :)

c70man

Reaction score
I'll just jump in and make a few comments.......Oh, the perfect guitar...I'm 65, been playing on and off since I was 13 or so. I started with electrics, moved on to acoustic, and stayed there. I got close a couple of times to the perfect guitar, yet always looked further. If you are lucky enough to afford more than one guitar, the journey gets a little easier, just a little though.

Due to my growing problems with arthritis in my hands and shoulders I have good days bad days....so I have been playing smaller and smaller guitars, OM's, 00's, 000's. I still own one dred....my J45....I just can't part with it, though it hurts like hell to play with it any length of time. I've sold all my 12 strings, really missing my Westerly JF12.

But back to guitars. I wouldn't fuss over how much money lost or spent or reconsidered on guitars purchased, traded, etc. It happens to all of us. We love guitars, thats what we do.

If you are lucky you may find the perfect guitar, but from all the working pros I know, its still somewhat of a non existing entity. Mainly, because your tastes and ear, and priorities will always change....its a moving train you're on. Of course, you'll always love your first guitar, regardless of how bad it was....its the one that got you started.

That being said, check out as many guitars as possible. I loved all my Guilds. All of them. I owned D25's, D40's, F series, and JF's over the years and pretty much loved them all....just not forever. I wished I would have kept them all, but needing a "fix" and not having the funds for multiple guitars, I kept moving forward. Sometimes my choices were good, sometimes not.

Don't be afraid to try out Lams.....some are exceptional, Yamaha comes to mind. I generally prefer American built guitars, but over the years I have purchased import guitars. They are good guitars. So if you can get past the MADE IN USA part (shich took me a long time), there are a lot of instruments to choose from.

And speaking of China....my GAD F20 was a very nice guitar, again, one of those I should have kept....but as mentioned before, I kept moving forward in my search. But don't be afraid to try them...I myself can't wait till SAM ASH brings the F and M series in to my local store. I have included a vid of me playing my F20...not very good, but the person I sold it to wanted a look before buying.
https://youtu.be/stftXoVVj-w

Recording King was mentioned in a link, so I'll just say this.......I loved mine and had it for 8 years as my open mic, go to guitar. I installed a fishman Matrix system in it, but any would have sounded ok. That guitar was beautifully made and it was made to my spec, which I don't think they do anymore. I know my particular model isn't made now, but I wouldn't be afraid to look at another all wood RK. Here's a short demo vid I made of mine the day it arrived.
https://youtu.be/hD3b0wln76E

Breedlove is one of my current favorites right now, and worth looking at. The American Series made in Bend Or utilize Myrtlewood sides and back.....amazing how "Guild like" the sound is. They remind me of my maple Guilds. Now they are relatively new, so few used exist...and they get $1500 new. Not a lot of money for a hand made American guitar, but I suspect they will fall under 1k as a used guitar in the future. worth checking into.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say, enjoy the journey, its the reason you play, its the reason you are on this web site.....Don't be afraid to make mistakes....we all do it...its about the joy getting there....good luck.