B4CE NT serial

mjac28

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what year LD000304 was made? and is this before Fender? thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi does anyone know what year LD000304 was made? and is this before Fender? thanks

Welcome. I'm going to say 1994 based upon the known errors and omissions in the Guild Dating charts but Hans Moust is probably the only person who can tell you for sure. Hopefully he'll be along.

Fender purchased Guild in 1995 so this is almost certainly before that. The question suggests that somehow Guilds produced at Westerly were different before and after the change of ownership. That may be true but folks have had trouble coming up with specific examples and there is anecdotal evidence from folks who worked through the transition that the quality control improved under Fender. Guitars that might have been sold "as is" got a bit of rework before leaving, for example.

Are you collecting B4's? I recall you asking about LD000286 a couple fo years ago.

mjac28

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply and I shouldn't have brought up the Fender question it's the same Pre- CBS smoke screen Fender collectors have been recycling for decades I'm sorry. It's funny you mentioned that other bass I ordered it from Guitar Center and it came with the neck busted in two pieces I was so upset I haven't looked at another one until recently thanks again for the help.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since LD000286 was also from 1993 (according to Hans), who knows maybe LD000304 would have been late 1993 as well. Or early 1994 as Frono said.
Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Pre-Fender" to me is a misconception. The real question behind that cloudy term is "was this guitar made in Westerly Rhode Island or Corona California."

"Pre corona" or more simply put...of course, is it or is it not, a..."Westerly".

Fender takes over Guild in 1995 but does not close the Westerly shop until 2001 or 2002 (I can never remember)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks so much for your reply and I shouldn't have brought up the Fender question it's the same Pre- CBS smoke screen Fender collectors have been recycling for decades I'm sorry. It's funny you mentioned that other bass I ordered it from Guitar Center and it came with the neck busted in two pieces I was so upset I haven't looked at another one until recently thanks again for the help.

No problem. Asking pre-Fender about Guilds is the wrong question as far as I am concerned and sometimes my feeling on the matter gets telegraphed when I am just trying to be educational.

I'm sorry to hear about the broken neck. I hope it cost you nothing.

mjac28

Reaction score
fronobulax;1693119 I'm sorry to hear about the broken neck. I hope it cost you nothing.[/QUOTE said:
I took it back to Guitar Center right after I opened the box they offered to fix the neck but I said no thank you. I just pulled the trigger on another one.

mjac28

Reaction score
"Pre-Fender" to me is a misconception. The real question behind that cloudy term is "was this guitar made in Westerly Rhode Island or Corona California."

"Pre corona" or more simply put...of course, is it or is it not, a..."Westerly".

I agree and the prices for these are steadily going up I had to grab one before they got out of reach.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
did u get one with the Guild B4E/B4CE hard case? it doubles as a Guild Starfire bass case if you ever get one of those. it's a nice case! congrats on the bass and enjoy.

mjac28

Reaction score
did u get one with the Guild B4E/B4CE hard case? it doubles as a Guild Starfire bass case if you ever get one of those. it's a nice case! congrats on the bass and enjoy.

Thank you and that's some good info I've been looking at some Starfire basses most don't have cases.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

One direction only :) My B4 case was not OEM but it definitely was the wrong choice for my Starfire. The B4 was too big (depth) for my two Starfire cases.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...because I notice the 94's start with AB..
Well, it just means that during 1994 the numbering scheme changed from LD to AB, only Hans would know how many with the older LD prefix are still from 1994. We need to wait for his second book with such info.
Ralf

mjac28

Reaction score
Well, it just means that during 1994 the numbering scheme changed from LD to AB, only Hans would know how many with the older LD prefix are still from 1994. We need to wait for his second book with such info.
Ralf

Hans contacted me and he's pretty certain it's a 93' from around October of that year I'll have to check the sound block to verify it. That guy is a genius I don't know that much about anything :)