Guild d25e from 1976?

Reaction score
So the "e" went back to GC? If you're down the street from Norman that means you are in Reseda.
Which GC are we talking about, TO?

GC Northridge. I bought the D25"e" and it's still there under their 30-day police/security hold. I get to pick it up later this month. ��

Reaction score
The "E" does/did stand for electric.
I happen to own one I bought new in 1990 (Daddy's Junky Music, ordered from Guild $700 w/ hardshell case in 1990)...the only difference is your Guild logo on the head stock is printed, and mine is Pearl. The electronics in the 1990 D-25E were Fishman w/ active electronics supplied by a 9 volt battery which was mounted in front of the soundhole/ neck side. There was a tone (bass/ treble) knob, and a volume knob mounted on upper bout near the neck, and plugged in on the rear strap lock. There was no other strap lock, but I had one installed years later, hating to have a strap that tied off at the head stock.
The one I own is a natural spruce top, but was also offered as a brown stained top....kind of a country/ western look to it.

Last edited:

lbrous2

Reaction score
Just bought a 1976 D25M E with the hot dot pickups. No knobs or wires, just a dot on either side of bridge. Top seems to be spruce stained mahogany color. can't find any other info on it except it was advertised as a hot dot pickup guitar. Plug is in bottom strap pin

Jim

Reaction score
AFAIK, a D25C would denote a cutaway, but I don't think I've ever seen a D-25 cutaway. I think a D-25CH would be a cherry-red D-25. Pictures of the guitar, showing the label, would help.

Guild was always much more consistent with quality of the guitars than with what they put on labels.

Here is my Guild D25C from a post earlier this year. They do exist!!

The "rare" Guild D25C cutaway

IMG_2221_zpsgh3awv9c.jpg
IMG_2220_zpsrxkiizrb.jpg
IMG_2219_zpsncocsnlx.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 1976 D25M E with the hot dot pickups. No knobs or wires, just a dot on either side of bridge. Top seems to be spruce stained mahogany color.
Yes, a '76 D25M should have a spruce top stained "Mahogany" color.
There were some made during the transition from flatback to archback ('72-'74 approx) that did get the "M" designation for actually having a mahogany top, but by '76 the transition was pretty well complete and only spruce-topped 'hog-body archbacks were being made as new production.
We have one member here (Spiderman)whose guitar is labeled that way and it is a '76, but it's the only one I can recall seeing, and I suspect it was a leftover from earlier production. That could happen with them too.
With Guild these little discrepancies are all just par for the course....
The hot-dot set-up is pretty uncommon.
If you want to be sure it's actually a '76, you can check with our guru, Hans Moust, who wrote the book about Guild's first 25 years, here:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
TVeye, there used to be a GC right there on Ventura in the S F Valley. Wasn't it Sherman Oaks or ??? I can't remember. T O is a long a$$ way to go. Or he could run over the hill to the Sunset store.

lbrous2

Reaction score
Thanks, I have heard from him when I bought my 1969 F212XL hog back. Thought it was a true Hoboken made cause it was on label, but I was 'Hans'ed" when he let me know it was early Westerley.
Would post pics but I don't know how to turn a JPEG on my desktop into a URL, like it asks.
I am up to 4 guilds now
69 F20
97 J-4NT
69 F212XL
76 D25M E hot dot

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have heard from him when I bought my 1969 F212XL hog back. Thought it was a true Hoboken made cause it was on label, but I was 'Hans'ed" when he let me know it was early Westerley.
Aha! You just answered a question I raised in another thread recently, thanks!

Would post pics but I don't know how to turn a JPEG on my desktop into a URL, like it asks.
You can only link directly to your own jpeg files for your avatar here.
Other wise you need to open an acount on a photo-hosting site, put your photos up there, and link to the hosting site's "URL".
Let us know if you need more detailed intstructions, it's not really that hard on this end.

I am up to 4 guilds now
69 F20
97 J-4NT
69 F212XL
76 D25M E hot dot[/QUOTE]