1971 guild f30-nt

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree, the action at the 12th fret looks high. If that is fixed by reglue of the bridge, great ! If not, it may need more costly repairs. Possibilities are that the top has risen too much due to loose braces underneath. That wouldn't take much money to fix. The other issue would cost more. A neck reset. If you had it checked out, what sort of repair place looked at it. please don't say a local Guitar Center.

lilysdad15

Reaction score
Haha you had me at 100 lol. It was guitar center that looked at it. He said to do the re glue would cost max 100 and if it did need a neck reset once that was done would be between 250 and 400 depending on how difficult it was. Also would humidifie it for me free of charge. Does that sound about right cost wise? Would you suggest not having them do the repair work?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha you had me at 100 lol. It was guitar center that looked at it. He said to do the re glue would cost max 100 and if it did need a neck reset once that was done would be between 250 and 400 depending on how difficult it was. Also would humidifie it for me free of charge. Does that sound about right cost wise? Would you suggest not having them do the repair work?

Prices sound reasonable. I'm not sure I would take a neck reset to GC but that is rooted in a possibly irrational prejudice against GC and the fact that I have a local luthier I trust and have been happy with. Google maps puts you about 70 miles from Acorn House who builds instruments. Perhaps he can chime in with a local recommendation?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum and to Guild ownership. You are off to a good start!I am unclear if you are trying to appraise your guitar for a general value, or actually intend to sell it. The value of Guilds, especially acoustics, is kinda "all over the road." Any Guild is a textbook example of "it's worth what someone will pay" and yours falls directly in that category, on many levels. You can check completed listings on eBay to see what they have sold for. The one you have would do good in a guitar shop where someone can try it and fall in love...selling online works for some, but is not for everyone, and not for every guitar. When you brought it to Guitar Center, did you ask them how much they would pay you for it? Considering what you've paid, If you are not keeping the guitar that is definitely a nice option to have (hurry up if so, in case they go bankrupt!). Guitar Center is a great place to sell a guitar, but probably not the place for major repairs. Yours looks good though, I'd be optimistic and hope a qualified luthier will tell you it does not need a neck reset at this time. But as other have stated, either way- this is a home run! Congrats!

lilysdad15

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input and advice, you guys are awesome! The guy at gc said that after I humidified and got the bridge re glue done is when he would be able to tell if it even needed a neck reset. I do plan on taking it to a local shop for a second look though. I will have to give acorn house a call though. Thanks for the tip! I did want a general value appraisal but am unsure myself if I will sell it. I kinda fell in love with it before I even picked it up. What do you think would be a good asking price as is and also a good price once I get the re glue done and back to where it sounds just as food as it did back in 71? Again I really appreciate yalls advice, time, and awesomeness!

JimmyD

Reaction score
If I'm selling an instrument, I always want it to be in top playing condition. Hence the connection to a proper luthier who does good work is essential. If you get it right, and you're a player, keep it for awhile and see if you bond with it. I had my F30 for almost 30 years......wonderful soulful guitars. If afterwards you decide to sell it, you could get a good dollar for it, either here or over on AGF....two places where people respect and know their instruments.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey there, lilysdad!

That's an incredible deal you got on a great little guitar. My suggestion is that you call Stewart Macdonald who's close to you in Athens. See if they can recommend a top notch luthier close to you. They'll definitely give you a trustworthy referral.

Welcome the forum!:happy:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, lilysdad (you don't know how hard it was for me to not put a space and a apostrophe in there.... really hard) and that's a super amazing deal you got there. You're gonna come out a winner regardless of the work it needs. There are tests a real luthier can do before you reglue the bridge to see if it needs a neck reset. Get someone good who knows and can advise you. Getting work done BEFORE evaluating seems.... premature. Sometimes when the neck is reset they have to replace the bridge. Not always but.... before you get it glued, get another evaluation done.

Congrats on a really nice acquisition!! F30's are awesome!! :encouragement:

eliya

Reaction score
This is an incredible deal!

I'd like to point out that the pickguard is shrinking and causing the top to sink in. If left to its own devices, it'll keep shrinking and cause the top to crack along the fingerboard (and maybe on the other hand of the soundhole). I recommend you take it to someone to lift the pickguard and reglue it before the top cracks.