Oxnard Factory

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure what is so exciting in this. Guild has plenty of artists they support, some of them are new after NH times: http://guildguitars.com/community/artists/ (this list is not really up to date I think)
Even during NH times they had this Fender/Guild lounge and the Airsteam where they produced videos with artists playing Guild guitars. And I am not sure what endorsing really means for CMG, with regards to WC and NS guitars the risk/cost is not so big to do this, but it creates attention to the brand! They are probably just on loan or so. CMG does the right things I think.
Ralf
I may have it wrong, Ralf, but I think it's been Guild "policy" not to give guitars away. It looks like CMG has changed this. I agree completely that the effect of doing this is positive.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I may have it wrong, Ralf, but I think it's been Guild "policy" not to give guitars away....

even "pre-Fender?"

They must have given Guns n Roses and Tesla those guitars for free, they toured with arsenals of them; and there was product placement everywhere in all of their MTV videos and live concert video releases. also seems like right after Guns broke up, is when Guild was sold to Fender.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I may have it wrong, Ralf, but I think it's been Guild "policy" not to give guitars away. It looks like CMG has changed this. I agree completely that the effect of doing this is positive.

But then again, they're giving away Asian built models, which isn't quite the same as giving away US made ones. That might have been what Ryley Walker was talking about when he said that they changed all the model numbers, which they did for most/all of the "Westerly Series" (still pains me to type that).

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
mavuser, Sandy,

I thought Guild didn't give equipment away, *especially* pre-Fender. But, I freely admit I may have this wrong. And, Sandy, your points about the GAD/100-series/Westerly guitars are completely valid.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I could definitely be wrong as well! The band likely had a budget from the record company since they were so big. So there's chance Guild did get paid generously for them. The big videos and such though, can sometimes be te other way around (or at least a wash). Awesome no mater what the arrangement

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I think like just about everything else it depended on "when".
Our member Drumbob posted some stories last year about his job handling Guild artist endorsements in the '80's, the bottom 8 threads on this page:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/search.php?searchid=659701
A quote from "Story #4":
"I can give him an electric and an acoustic of his choice, but 7? No..."
and:
"We don't give any endorser that many free instruments"

guildman63

Reaction score
My recollection from one of the factory tours is tha Al Dronge was the one who hated to give guitars away and would not, but that his son saw it differently. Perhaps the practice of not giving artists guitars changed after Al's untimely passing, but I don't know for sure if or when it did during the pre-CMG days. It's nice that CMG is getting the guitars in the hands of artists.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just hope guitar center carries the new guilds. Or someone close to me. Would be cool to check them out before I buy.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
again using Tesla or certainly Guns n Roses as an example, hard to say anyone was getting anything for "free," compared to the advertising and marketing Guild got in return, surely worth millions, or seemingly so, at the time...definetly worth more than a couple dozen guitars with those bands. and could easily be written off to advertising/overhead under a number of different budget lines. But I do think Guns is the extreme example for Guild, in any event, here we are talking about it 30 years later (if you missed this thread http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...nces-between-JF-30-and-F-50-besides-the-bling) so somebody did something right, even if the band did break up in 93 and Guild sold to Fender shortly after.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My recollection from one of the factory tours is tha Al Dronge was the one who hated to give guitars away and would not, but that his son saw it differently. Perhaps the practice of not giving artists guitars changed after Al's untimely passing, but I don't know for sure if or when it did during the pre-CMG days. It's nice that CMG is getting the guitars in the hands of artists.

That's my recollection, as well. Didn't Mark tell a story of having presented a guitar to an artist, then having his Dad make him go and get it back?

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
I seem to remember somebody at one of the Let's Meet Guild events (Maybe Dave Gonzales) asking us to notify them of any up-and-coming young artists who might be interested in playing Guild - they were trying to put their guitars in front of a whole new demographic.... not sure what came of that.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another Friday and another post from the Oxnard factory (And no TX, it's not the China factory... :kiwi-fruit: ).
I don't think it shows new Oxnard models yet since the post reads: "It’s #factoryfriday and we’re practicing our finishing skills over at the Guild USA factory! We’re getting close, guys…"
I am not even sure what those cutaway guitars are/were model wise...
So they are playing with the spray booth obviously.

12239640_10153094418556105_6983338859743719625_n.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
Looks like practice on reject guitars? The one in the foreground looks like it's got a crack on the side.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another Friday and another post from the Oxnard factory (And no TX, it's not the China factory... :kiwi-fruit: ).
I don't think it shows new Oxnard models yet since the post reads: "It’s #factoryfriday and we’re practicing our finishing skills over at the Guild USA factory! We’re getting close, guys…"
I am not even sure what those cutaway guitars are/were model wise...
So they are playing with the spray booth obviously.

12239640_10153094418556105_6983338859743719625_n.jpg

Ralf

I hate to be the conspiracy theorist here but do you notice something familiar about the guitars in the paint booth and their Orientation when compared to the earlier photo of the New M20 mold and its orientation in the previous Friday's post? They are all upside down! It's the Chinese factory all over again man! LOL Just kidding, but I had to.

You guys notice upside down truss rod covers and I notice Upside down Guitars! I guess they are not teaching sunburst in today's spray booth class! I like the brown one!