Davey Jones (Monkees) and a Guild?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes. It's actually Peter's Jetstar that Davy's borrowed for this song while Peter was playing keyboards, banjo, or something else.
_9248493.jpg

tjmangum

Reaction score
Stephen Stills was living with Peter Tork when he got a call about the auditions for the show. He referred Tork, who was a working musician. Michael Nesmith several years earlier wrote "Different Drum" which became the first big hit for Linda Ronstadt. The "Wrecking Crew" played the instruments on the first couple of Monkee albums, just as they did for most of the other pop music out of LA during the 60's.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Eventually, Mike and Peter (especially) rebelled at not playing on their albums and pushed Don Kirschner out as Musical Director. They all also played simplified versions of their songs when they performed live (with some augmenting personnel.) As TJ has said, Mike and Peter were the real musicians of the amalgam, Mickey and Davey coming from a theatrical background.

matsickma

Reaction score
Ironic as it was, Peter was a guitar player, Mike was a bass player and Mickey was a guitar player. Mickey eventually learned how to play drums albeit he was no Billy Cobham. On the Moog legacy web site is the list of people who Moog delivered their modular systems to. I don't have the list handy and my memory is pretty rusty but I think a few of the first modular Moogs were sold to Walter/Wendy Carlos, Beatles, Stones, Monkees (Mickey), Penn State University. I think Keith Emersons first modular was around number 18. Emersons asked for a free one and said he would endorse Moog. They told him the Beatles and Stones paid for theirs so he needs to pay for his. On the long haul Emerson did more for Moog sales and the evolution of advanced features of the Moog did anyone else. He and Dr Bob Moog got pretty close so I suspect he eventually got a lot of free perks.

A little diversion but it seemed to be appropriate.

M

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ironic as it was, Peter was a guitar player, Mike was a bass player and Mickey was a guitar player. Mickey eventually learned how to play drums albeit he was no Billy Cobham. On the Moog legacy web site is the list of people who Moog delivered their modular systems to. I don't have the list handy and my memory is pretty rusty but I think a few of the first modular Moogs were sold to Walter/Wendy Carlos, Beatles, Stones, Monkees (Mickey), Penn State University. I think Keith Emersons first modular was around number 18. Emersons asked for a free one and said he would endorse Moog. They told him the Beatles and Stones paid for theirs so he needs to pay for his. On the long haul Emerson did more for Moog sales and the evolution of advanced features of the Moog did anyone else. He and Dr Bob Moog got pretty close so I suspect he eventually got a lot of free perks.

A little diversion but it seemed to be appropriate.

M
This was the first song Mickey wrote (I believe) using the new Moog.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Stephen Stills was living with Peter Tork when he got a call about the auditions for the show. He referred Tork, who was a working musician. Michael Nesmith several years earlier wrote "Different Drum" which became the first big hit for Linda Ronstadt.
And "Mary, Mary" appears on the landmark East/West by Butterfield Blues Band.
The "Wrecking Crew" played the instruments on the first couple of Monkee albums, just as they did for most of the other pop music out of LA during the 60's.
There was also assists Boyce and Hart's Candy Store Prophets who were also the backup band on the tours, and substantial contributions from Nesmith on his compositions.
Following up on Acorn's observation, the final straw for them with Kirschner was the release of "More of the Monkees" and the "Daydream Believer" single without their content approval.
Peter wrote and plays guitar on "For Pete's Sake" which was the closing theme in the second season.
Lastly, you can alse see Davy playing that bass in one of the video versions of "Pleasant Valley Sunday" in one of the episodes of the show. It's in rotation on IFC on Saturday mornings lateley.
Catch the rare Pat Paulsen episode if you can, it's real revelation. Right up there with Smothers Brothers for political satire.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

That video reminded me that Davey Jones was originally a drummer. The Execs decided he looked to small behind the drum set and moved him up front as a singer. The Monkees was supposed to have Davey Jones as the main attraction. Mickey was the superior vocalist but Davey attracted the girls. I went to see the Monkees last year and when I talked to a few woman about it they said they considered going but since Davey, RIP, was no longer with the band they decided not to go.

I think that may have been the video we all saw on the TV show when Mickey played the Moog. I didn't remember the other guys being with him when I saw it on TV.

M

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
There is a great interview with Mickey on "The Wrecking Crew" movie, in the extra-features section. Seems pretty straight
forward that he went into it as an acting job...

matsickma

Reaction score
Peter Tork and his band Shoe Suede Blues will be playing locally Oct 2. I'm waiting to find the kickoff time for a college team I follow before I get tickets.

M

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Gotta love subversive drug songs and political satire on a Saturday morning kids show!!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Gotta love subversive drug songs and political satire on a Saturday morning kids show!!
walrus
What really raises the hairs on my forearms is thinking how much more so even, back in '60's primetime.
Peter Tork and his band Shoe Suede Blues will be playing locally Oct 2. I'm waiting to find the kickoff time for a college team I follow before I get tickets.
If you make it to the show, look for a familiar headstock logo on another one of Peter's guitars:

He's had that one a l-o-o-ong time. It even cameo'd on the show a couple of times.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Could Mike Nesmith look any more pissed off in that video? Surprised they released it...
Suspect they didn't actually have a say in that one, it's the clip I mentioned earlier, from one of the shows.
Somebody mentioned Peter earlier, but the way I understood it, Mike was actually the one who was so against dubbing and ghost back-up bands.
He was the one who announced to the world that they were actually the "prefab 4", sparking a bit of resentment from the boys for rocking the boat, and put a fist through a wall in a hotel room during a showdown with Kirshner over artistic control and approval rights on what got released, "IIRC".
Ultimately the record company sided with boys, Kirshner was out, and they got to record "Headquarters" on their own terms.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
"Apologies for getting back on topic, but here's more of Davy with the bass:"

I am looking forward to performing that song live twice today. It's a hoot.