Bonnie Raitt in Boston tonight, Guild sighting!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend Peter Marton sent me this shot of the giant monitor...

And I thought she was a "Taylor-girl" now...everything is indeed right with the world...:joyous:

krugjr

Reaction score
she's always been one of my favorite artists.....and a few months ago she was "one" of the reasons I switched to Guild.......you probably remember me saying "if it's good enough for Bonnie, it's good enough for me".....then I got my F50-R.......I've been playin' for 50 yrs, and one of my top ten songs ever is Bonnie's "I Can't Make You Love Me"!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Never heard of her but I'll check her out. But cool pic ;)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Been living under a rock or something Rayk? ;) Bonnie's an absolute American treasure.

Bill, when we saw Bonnie in November of 2013 (and she's never looked or sounded better), she had two identical double pick guard F50Rs, and played them oh so well. Her band was off the hook good, too.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

You're kidding, right? Or does this once again prove the diversity of LTG members and their musical tastes and experience? To be fair, I think she first came to my attention when I was playing tuba and some friends told me about this guy (Freebo/Daniel Friedberg) who was playing tuba with a singer who was doing a lot of acoustic blues in the 1970's. I doubt I would have heard of her then if it wasn't for the tuba.

Neal

Reaction score
Rayk, she is a blues singer/player/songwriter of extraordinary talent. Daughter of a well-respected Broadway singer (father) and pianist (mother).

Bonnie is far and away the best female guitar player I have ever seen, and among the best, period, with a glass slide.

She has played big old Guild F-50R's for the majority of her career, along with a bunch of Fender electric guitars.

Neal

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah who'da thunk we had a tuba player.

When I was a senior in high school and in All-state choir, I met a kid that not only played tuba, but he could solo and shred! He got sounds out of that thing that I didn't think a tuba could make. Seriously. I often wonder what happened to him, he's probably playing with the NY Philharmonic or something like that.

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
I once stole Bonnie Raitt's seat at the Plough & Stars in Cambridge. We were both there to see Spider John Koerner, who was in town from Minneapolis, and whose songs Bonnie has covered.

When I came into the club, which is tiny, there was one bench seat empty and I took it. A few minutes later Bonnie returned from the ladies room and came to where I was sitting. I realized what had happened and offered her her seat back but she said no, and just squeezed in between me and her friends. It was a little thrill!

Spider John was great, as always.

Glenn

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
...(sheepishly raises hand in back of room) :uncomfortableness:

I played Sousaphone all through high school, then tuba in the college band...and one summer even got union-sanctioned (and scale) gigs for the season with the local "military" and "Italian" bands! I guess we were few and far between.

College band is where Sirkku and I met...:joyous:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
...(sheepishly raises hand in back of room) :uncomfortableness:
I played Sousaphone all through high school, then tuba in the college band...
Well according to the sample we have here so far then, 100% of tuba players eventually regress to playing the guitar, or worse, bass guitar.
I won't even ask about how many of 'em wind up at rock bottom with banjos.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
You (collectively) won't believe this...I absconded one of Sirkku's birthday chocolates, Dove Dark, just a few minutes ago...the wrapper has a "fortune" inside, not unlike a fortune cookie..."Walk to the beat of your own tuba."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well according to the sample we have here so far then, 100% of tuba players eventually regress to playing the guitar

Sorry to break the momentum, I never played the tuba, but the word "tuba" always made me laugh and still does.
There is something utterly comical about this instrument, as brilliantly illustrated by Stewie here:

And yes, hard to believe that someone has never heard of the awesomely lovable Bonnie Raitt.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
That, my friends, was a Sousaphone...

Said Sousaphone got me to Washington DC in my High School junior-year, and
the proper orchestral Tuba got me ten days in Europe during the Spring of 1972...

Laugh all you want...:laughing::laughing:

Yes, I know you were already there, Pascal...oh, were you even born yet???:teapot:

Hmm, sorry, a gentleman is not supposed to ask...

12391837757WefjI.jpg

A Tuba...

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That, my friends, was a Sousaphone...

Said Sousaphone got me to Washington DC in my High School junior-year, and
the proper orchestral Tuba got me ten days in Europe during the Spring of 1972...

Laugh all you want...:laughing::laughing:

Yes, I know you were already there, Pascal...oh, were you even born yet???:teapot:

Hmm, sorry, a gentleman is not supposed to ask...

12391837757WefjI.jpg

A Tuba...

I need to try remembering this Bill, and make every effort not to picture you following a fat guy with a sousaphone next time I see you... (to keep it "gentlemanly" and avoid bursting laughing, which would be rude I reckon.) :witless:

Do you think the "fat guy walk" could work with a tuba, however?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Really Bill? I thought this was what a Sousaphone looked like. Dig those costumes!

800px-Eis-Zwei-Geissebei_IMG_8662.JPG

Named after John Phillip Sousa, one of my homies from Port Washington NY.