Acorn House mandolin

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a new mandolin commission I've just finished. My first mandolin build.
p1030991.jpg

p1030998.jpg

p1040029.jpg

p1040007.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wonderful, Chris. I had a feeling it was Koa. Sets off beautifully from the top. That's Sitka, right? Or, is it redwood?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wonderful, Chris. I had a feeling it was Koa. Sets off beautifully from the top. That's Sitka, right? Or, is it redwood?
No, it's some wonderful Sitka that I got from Bruce up at Orcas Islond Tonewoods. 30-40 growth lines per inch that he harvested back in the early 90s. Just from the width of the stock I had, that makes the tree at least 250 years old, probably much older given the waste that would have been cut before I got it. Great to work with and a very alive, loud, tone.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
where can it be listened to? HH
It's already been delivered to the commissioner. If they post a clip, I'll update. In the Spring I'm planning a concert here at school of myself and most of the owners of my instruments (guitars, acoustic bass guitar, mandolin, ukulele, possibly amp if we do any electric). I'll definitely have some videos of that.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is Absolutely Stunning Chris! What kind of Build time do you have into a Mandolin of that caliber? Such Attention to detail and wonderful selection of High Quality woods. You are a true craftsman my friend.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What kind of Build time do you have into a Mandolin of that caliber?
I do most of my building in the summer. It's hard to find quality time during the school year, but I do planning, thinking, and materials gathering then. On this, I did get the neck roughed out during a break, but the rest was all May-July, in small bursts. (It is vacation, after all, so I'm still not doing more than a few hours a day, at most.) I've never actually counted up build hours on any of mine, the luxury of the semi-pro/amateur.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chris, that mandolin is quite the creammy nugget! Amazing!! Has to be hard to not keep the finished product. Cheers!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I do most of my building in the summer. It's hard to find quality time during the school year, but I do planning, thinking, and materials gathering then. On this, I did get the neck roughed out during a break, but the rest was all May-July, in small bursts. (It is vacation, after all, so I'm still not doing more than a few hours a day, at most.) I've never actually counted up build hours on any of mine, the luxury of the semi-pro/amateur.

Well I must say that it is one of the prettiest A body Mando's I have ever seen. I would love to hear it if you ever get a sound clip from the new owner. I haven't played mandolin in 5 -6 years but I might get back into it if I had one like the one you built!