The Show Must Go On...

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A bit of a strange night this Friday night.

For those that don't know me, I play in a band called NIGHT SHIFT https://www.reverbnation.com/nightshiftbandrocks?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav

We have this weekend off and were looking to get together this Friday night to work on some new material. The drummer called in a rain check as he's got a lot going on with his family right now. So I invited the two guitarist, (I play bass) over to my house to go over to the Guilds of Grot "Vault", (which neither had ever seen before) and then come back to the house for an acoustic jam and then maybe go out an catch a band at a local watering hole.

So the lead guitarist shows up first. As we're enjoying an adult beverage on the back deck he gets a phone call from the drummer from his old band who is now playing in a new band. It turns out that the drummer's lead guitarist's Mom has been in a bad accident and he has cancelled a half an hour before the gig! As it turns out the gig is two miles away from my house at a place NIGHT SHIFT used to play regularly!

The problem is my lead guitarist only has his acoustic guitar with him and it's about an hour and a half round trip for him to go back to his house, pick his gear up and make it to the gig. I told him no problem. As soon as our other guitarist gets here we'll go over to the "Vault" and pick something out for him!

He didn't need an amp as the he would use the rhythm guitarist's amp and he would go directly onto the board as he only plays guitar part time as he also play keys.

So we all go over to the "Vault" and I offer him my 1973 M-75 Bluebird. He has a 2001 Bluesbird so I thought it might be something he would be comfortable with. I also hooked him up with a strap.

He left the "Vault" and headed straight to the gig. My other guitarist hung out a little longer at the "Vault" then went back to my house and consumed some more of the aforementioned adult beverages.

We moseyed over to the bar just in time for the first break where we learned that the band's lead guitarist's Mother has died as a result of the accident! How freakin' horrible is that! The band had a moment of silence for the guitarist's Mom before they kicked off the second set. Now our guitarist has never played with this band before but I swear he knows about every song ever recorded! It's amazing how it just plugs in and goes. When we got there he told me that the Bluebird really rocks!

Then between the second and third set, the drummer gets a call from his wife and finds out his dog as just died! Holy crap! Talk about a bad night!

It was amazing that the band could play at all but like the troopers that bar bands are, they went on with the show!

Here's a photo, (not taken by me) of Bruce with my Bluesbird ripping it up!

Rock-n-Roll, you never know...

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Geez, Kurt. I'm sorry to hear about all that misfortune with your bandmates. It really sucks when things stack up like that.

Indeed, the show must go on!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
man crazy night indeed. condolences to your friends. good you and your band (and your guitar) could be there for them!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What a crazy story! On the plus side, Bruce must have been like a kid at a candy store looking through the "vault"!

walrus