Reverend Guitars?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes. I own two, an older Flatroc, and a Club King 290. Previously owned an older Jetstream 290. These are interesting and different guitars. Well designed, with unusual and quite sensible features. Especially the bass contour knob. And proprietary pickups such as the Revtron, which is somewhere between the old HS filtertron and a minihumbucker, or the ceramic magnet P-90s with (surprising to me) work very well.

Well worth checking out. They're built in Korea now. Well made, real attention to detail.
MD

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Reverend HQ is local to me. I own a Rocco, serial #3, bought new in the spring of 1997. It has Danelectro-like body construction, a Jazzmaster/Jaguar-ish shape, a metal armrest on the body and a Fender style maple neck. Very lightweight and resonant. Long ago I replaced the original Kent Armstrong pickups with a set of TV Jones DynaTrons. Big improvement.

The newer Reverends I've had the chance to play are more conventional in build and are also very nice guitars. Definitely worth a tryout.

-Dave-

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to play one of the Reverend Pete Anderson Semi-Hollowbodies. Played great, fit and finish was nice, Just too close to my Starfires that I had at the time and the tone wasn't as good as my Starfires. Still it was a very well built guitar for the price point.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I looked at a made in the US Rocco a while back and it was pretty cool. I didn't realize they were now made in Korea

The early ones were US made and were also Pretty Cool guitars. I think in the last 5-7 years they made the switch to all Korean Made. It's just so hard for a Boutique Maker to Make enough Guitars at an attractable price here in the US and they were trying to grow the company at the time. I played one of the earlier USA models a couple of years back and they were every bit as good as what Fender was kicking out for US models. They just couldn't compete with the Volume of the major guitar companies. Great guitars though.

I will say this, I just recently bought my First Foreign made guitar in over 10 years in a Gretsch Black Falcon Dynasonic model and I am Extremely pleased with the quality of craftsmanship, play ability, and tone. I would not hesitate to buy another if the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Reverend Hellhound 40/60 combo amp from the late 90s/early 2000s is one of the best amps I've ever heard. Scott Metzger gigs with one plays his tele thru it. Hard to describe amp tone online, but it is just the nasty!

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
The Reverend Hellhound 40/60 combo amp from the late 90s/early 2000s is one of the best amps I've ever heard. Scott Metzger gigs with one plays his tele thru it. Hard to describe amp tone online, but it is just the nasty!
Not easy to find I bet, right?

DrumBob

Reaction score
Bad experience with a Flat Roc. The pickups squealed terribly. I could have sent it back to Joe Naylor, but elected to blow it out on Feebay instead. Done with Reverend guitars for good. Most of the body shapes are butt ugly. Just no interest on my part.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not easy to find I bet, right?

No but they pop up like everything else. Seen them for anywhere between 300-800...just like Guilds ha

there is also a head version Of this amp but the one I refer to is specifically the combo with the stock/factory Reverend speaker.

Last edited:

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've seen David Bazan of Pedro the Lion playing a Reverend Charger, which kinda made me want one. I've resisted to this point. Justin Vernon from Bon Iver used to play a Reverend back in '09, but it seems like he's mostly on 70s Gibsons, now.

Emory

Reaction score
I've got some incarnation of Reverend 6gun I got used, like mating of strat and tele. Fit, finish, hardware all great. Imo much better than a strat... finally topped it when I got a G&L Comanche, but would not hesitate to get a Reverend again. Oh I put a Les Trem 2 on as it has Gibson style tail. Latest have Wilkinson trem standard I think

Bj0Ok6FtxhmaIF2ajrADnHD0oCBEVRGlhjbEFeH8ZCq51O4uEGJ9L3CN-v9tgtjlfMgd2dNa496Y4R8cApCamD0LeT1WPNwlTp184pEQek9c0lsTwg-_WMOHtW9bPNPe7NCRuvC9lY4aOSp_GkSoKhOP4953iHv4lr1LP5Ni1DRvbL_T6WZdIc5gcQ-fRf8FeDb5NvKM7Q7sfznAu0jz1Eq0rU-I8M-cnC1_5LheDXcUZrq4zsK5cSx2yoUk9DYCaX2IMjkuXeLD3TJH6GLp2sfJqQfo9GGGr2hk4rGWaT6cn8U2Zd5mn0f2YeJAO4L-fR6RIYAgKMzt_9APMaozzfFBJHG94lbw3G0QtdqTTuDMb3gZycGqAlQtj6R7SPApDPrg24E_W21sfwF4Cm1BaejwEd1Z52ckL5Pv3gt31KTc0tcrti2uD2LArf7kqDalI1DKnz3R-m78gDoBwpuc6yjcmYGkJxSaasGISUmeFxs7fXI_xrFVnFsvSv9i65H_xA_PeJ06kRBzNPRKIuffWawYvfDh-M1svZndtCOot1F72LM-fKqpH7L5DA2JJGsyCUVy=w448-h336-no