Just joined, just got a Pilot 5 Advanced

Reaction score
Howdy to All!

I love my B-302 and l always wanted a 5 string Guild. I took a chance on a never seen (other than pics) Ebay purchase. It is a Guild Pilot Advanced 5 in Honeyburst. I was worried they would do what many companies did and just squish 5 strings onto a 4 string neck. I was really happy that it was wide and this was not the case. I like my 5 strings W-I-D-E!

I really like the bass. Though I wish they did a diamond shaped headstock with the traditional Guild logos.

Is I true they only made 9 of these?

Curious on Pilot history. The InterWeb seems really sparse on the Googles.

Thanks,

- Ziggy -

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Not sure how many were made. 9 seems kind of low, but I wouldn't trust my memory.

The late Brian Bowdren was a big Pilot fan and wrote a short article on history and variations. If the links in this thread are no longer valid, let me know and I'll put my copy of the scan back online for a couple of days.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am on a phone now but when on a PC can better chack all the links.

I guess the "9" was based on being both a fiver and an Advanced. No way to tell I guess. My serial number is really low. The bass looks like it has been on a 1000 stages but cared for as well as possible.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, ZiggyDude.

Hope you can post picture of your new Pilot bass. Love to see 'em. (you have to host pictures elsewhere, by the way).

Also, please see my personal message (PM) to you.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! Well, the number 9 comes from the often incorrect Guild serial number list, we have to wait for Hans Moust's second book to clarify how many were made and if 9 is correct or wrong. Gruhn's book shows they were only made in 1988 and 1989.

Since new members sometimes have difficulties posting pictures at LTG I hope you don't mind posting what I would guess is your new "SB-905 Advanced Pilot" from year 1988! What a wonderful color and wood grain!

$_57.JPG

Ralf