B-301A Truss Rod Cover Mystery?

Reaction score
I just bought a 79 B-301A. It was advertised as missing the truss rod cover, so I figured I'd just get a replacement. Now that I have it I notice that there aren't any screw holes for the TRC. How can this be? There is no indication that the head plate was ever replaced (that I can tell). It all looks old and appropriately beat up for its age. Any B-301(2) owners want to compare with yours to see if this looks right and help figure out what's going on here? I can't imagine it came from the factory without a TRC.

IMGP1568a.jpg

IMGP1569a.jpg

IMGP1571a.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Google image search turns up several pictures with the TRC installed with two visible screws. I'd say the loser who lost the TRC tried to make lemonade and filled the holes with something. I'd get out the magnifying glass and bright lights and see if that is possible.

P1010161-1.jpg

(This link led me to the image above).

Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear in the original post. There are no holes for a TRC (filled, repaired, or otherwise). I was hoping someone could post a photo of theirs with the cover removed so I can compare. Does the top screw go into the rod channel or the black faceplate?

The one in the photo you posted is upside down.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You are right. I have lost some LTG credibility by posting a TRC photo without noting that the TRC is upside down.

I think every TRC I have pulled had the screw holes in the plate, not the channel, but since "every" does not include a B30x that is not especially relevant. I've seen some pretty good fill jobs but it is certainly possible that they forgot to drill the holes and QA was on vacation and it left the factory without a TRC or the mounting holes. I guess we wait for a B30x owner to stumble along.