Need reverb output transformer, 6GW8 tubes for T1 RVT,

john_kidder

Reaction score
Hello good folks, old friends and new,

Trying to get my T1RVT up and running, amp tech tells me the reverb power transformer (he sees two numbers on it - 007004 & 9264893) is "shorted and sizzling", and it needs a new power tube.

Default or matsickma, or anyone else, any idea where I might find a suitable transformer to replace the dead one?

And I seem to be finding prices online for the 6GW8 at around $50 - seems way too high, but I've been out of all these loops for years now, and perhaps that's the going rate now. Ideas?

Thanks all,
John

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey there, John -

Great to see you posting again! I may be able to help out a little with your predicament.

I think that the second number - 926 4893 - is your transformer code. According to an old EIA code sheet, the manufacturer is Todd Electric Company, Inc., Yonkers. N.Y., which is a good start. (BTW: This site has links to an enormous amount of old electronics catalogs.) Despite tons of info on the net, unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to decipher the date code in a way that makes sense for your amp year. You or your tech might want to dig further to see if you can find other helpful info. There is an article (page 1, page 2) on how to estimate the rating of the transformer, in order to find a suitable replacement. Your best be might be to talk to someone at Mercury Magnetics restoration services to see if they might know of an appropriate replacement.

As far as a 6GW8 replacement tube, I've actually had the best luck by buying NOS tubes from reputable ebayers and sticking with dependable tried and true manufacturers, i.e., RCA, GE, Raytheon, etc. I've had to hunt down uncommon tubes as well, like 6C10s for my Fender Rivera-era Super Champ, or a 6CG7 for my old Ampeg, and I've been able to get them for less than the asking prices of dedicated NOS tube dealer sites. It does take patience and time, however.

Good luck! :C)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi John! The reverb circuit is basically a Champ driving a speaker. In this case you need a 6BM8. Use an output transformer from a Champ or a Fender Reverb tank and you should be ok. 6BM8s are still in production and NOS are plentiful.

6GW8's (your power tubes) have been out of production for a long time and the prices reflect that. :-(

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
One of my techs was looking at my T1 RVT Saturday and remarked, 'if one of these trannies blows up, your are gonna have to get someone to fabricate another one'.

He mentioned Heyboer or Mercury Magnetics. The good news is, if they've already re-buillt one, they'll have the notes for another one. The bad news is, it's expensive. Call 'em and see what they need from you. They'll probably want the dead trannie and a schematic showing how much voltage is coming out of the trannie and where it's going to, etc.

I'll look for a power tube for you, too.

Oh, I've already googled those numbers, adding the word transformer; the only that shows up is this thread!!

HH