: ) Look What I Just Found

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
You might have to "maximize" the video. I hope he doesn't mind. Great memories and a great guy!

West

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Real blast from the past. Thanks for that Jim!

How many of us old timers can identify the suspects in this shot from Jim's 2007 Arlington collection?

100_0699.jpg

I think I know all of them, even from behind!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Woops......don't think you wanted me to answer that. I get a little choked up when I see pictures of the two on the left.

West

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let the rest of us in...

What is the history of the photo, and who are the people?

Before the first factory tour (LMG I) there was a gathering of LTG folks at the Arlington Guitar Show in Texas (2007). This was taken there. I recognize Hans, Graham, Jim and Don plus a couple faces that are familiar. I believe California is in the picture and he suffered a massive stroke several years ago and can no longer play guitar. That's not everyone, and it is based on the memory of a non-participant so I expect to be clarified and corrected.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
100_0699.jpg

OK, counter-clockwise from bottom right: Graham (once our top poster), West R Lee, Dklsplace (Don, our listmeister), Jeff, Hans, I believe that's Dr. Izza Plumber to the left of Hans, Guildmark (RIP), and California. Correct, Jim?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hit it right on the head. Classic, we did this annually for 5-6 years around the Arlington Guitar Show held each October in Arlington, Texas. This is the only U.S. venue Hans does annually, and that was the original inspiration for the get together. Most would stay at the Sheraton hotel adjacent to the Convention Center where the guitar show was held........to my knowledge, still the largest vintage guitar show in the world. We would lease a cabin behind the hotel to hold this event each Saturday night of the show.

On a somber note, David Nemer "California" and Mark Hermann "Guildmark" are greatly missed.......both are seated on the left.

West

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
So do you guys still do this, or did it stop for some reason?

It sounds like a great get together.

Loaded question. When Guild offered tours at the New Hartford factory some of the energy behind a gathering in Texas was diverted towards those get-together instead.

Anticipating the next question, watch the LTG Only section. There is a general expectation that Guild and LTG will collaborate on a get-together in the Oxnard area that will include a factory tour. Things are on hold at the moment but will probably start up once the factory starts production. Most other get-togethers have been organized by members acting quasi-independently. The Texans may again organize something for/at the next Arlington show. Guilds of Grot has been known to invite folks to New Jersey when his band plays. "Party at default's House" will eventually happen in the Philadelphia area. In general people who are organizing something will post in Members Only and people who are testing the waters usually do so there as well.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
So do you guys still do this, or did it stop for some reason?

It sounds like a great get together.

It was a blast Classic, and many life long friendships were formed. What happened? Lot's of things I suppose. As mentioned, one of the charter members died, another suffered a serious heart attack and now resides in permanent care. Several are no longer as involved in this website, people got busy. There are many reasons.

I had thought about possibly getting this thing together at some point, but time will tell. Behind the cabin we used to lease for this event, there was a large glass pavilion....a beautiful venue. I can remember Don saying after the first couple LTG get togethers that one day, LTG would be held there....hoping it would grow large enough back then. We had big plans, but times change, as do people. I suppose if there were ever enough interest, we could probably do something like that again.

West

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Thanks for the memories, Jim...even tho I regrettably couldn't attend Arlington, I do recognize all the faces...and backs of heads...and for those who are not old timers here, that's Mark and David in my avatar.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the memories, Jim...even tho I regrettably couldn't attend Arlington, I do recognize all the faces...and backs of heads...and for those who are not old timers here, that's Mark and David in my avatar.

: ) There are times my wife and I still get a bit misty eyed when we discuss David and Mark. I miss them both. In one of the shots in the video, we are at the guitar show and David has asked my opinion on a Brazilian rosewood Taylor guitar. I'm holding the guitar that David bought that day in one of those shots. This is my favorite song of Mark's.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=4196500&q=hi&newref=1

Jane, at the very first Arlington, I was asked to do a song and little did I know that either Graham, or Jeff had an audio recorder. Graham had taken a bunch of pictures and stuck them on the audio and sent it to me. You'll have to turn it up to hear, but this is Mark harmonizing with me...........the one and only time he and I ever sang together. Totally adlib. You might have to maximize this one too.

West

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Just lovely, Jim...turned up wearing cans I'm able to hear it just fine...Mark sure did harmonize nice...and really fits with your voice.
As short as the friendship was, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to play and sing with both those nice gentlemen...and sorry there is no recording...maybe one of the digi wizards around here could edit the audio and raise the volume for you...thanks again for sharing and best to you and your lovely wife.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Like someone always said, life is what happens when you have other plans. Personally, I have this year & next coaching football for my youngest, which always seems to have the last game of the season on either the same weekend of the Arlington show, or the previously mentioned LMG's on the east coast. I would love to get back to making it a regular attraction on our annual family calendar.

I remember the very first year when no one had ever met, David's wife was there without him for the first night. I couldn't tell you anything we did or talked about, but will never forget his comments about arriving in the middle of the night on a late flight after she had gone to bed. When he spoke to her to see if she was awake, she just rolled over & mumbled in her half asleep state..."so much fun!" :tranquillity:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Barbara is indeed a very special person. I do miss her. We speak via FB occasionally and she's still hanging in there after all of this time, Quite a lady!

West

Like someone always said, life is what happens when you have other plans. Personally, I have this year & next coaching football for my youngest, which always seems to have the last game of the season on either the same weekend of the Arlington show, or the previously mentioned LMG's on the east coast. I would love to get back to making it a regular attraction on our annual family calendar.

I remember the very first year when no one had ever met, David's wife was there without him for the first night. I couldn't tell you anything we did or talked about, but will never forget his comments about arriving in the middle of the night on a late flight after she had gone to bed. When he spoke to her to see if she was awake, she just rolled over & mumbled in her half asleep state..."so much fun!" :tranquillity:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I attended one of these great get-togethers, I think in 2009. Or 2010. It was a blast, and I'd love to be able to do it again sometime. My wife and I attended a few of the New Hartford events, and they were fantastic. But Cali is just too far and then there's the bonus of having the world's largest vintage guitar show next door.