Cordoba Guild folks, are you reading this?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Now if you really want a solid spruce top on a vintage Guild Jazz guitar you need to get like a Johnny Smith Award or Artist Award model, A-150, A-350, A-500/A-550, CA-100, CA-500, X-700 or so.
Ralf

...... and there's no such thing as a CA-500!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Well....one guy's "aneamic looking flimsy guilds" are another (this) guy's perfection - I wouldn't trade any of my Hoboken Guilds for a Westerly built guitar. What you seem to think of as "sturdy" feels clunky, overly heavy and overbuilt to me. We all like different things, and I know quite a few people who are not into Westerly Guilds at all, and prefer the earlier lighter, more resonant guitars. different strokes yada yada.

Ah yes. that's what it's all about, those thin featherlight bodies just vibrating under your hands, throbbing and twanging with overtone.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
But for counterpoint, there was the Youngbloods' "Darkness Darkness" with the same kind of sustain on a completely different guitar, a 1953 M75 hollow-body (not sure what pickups came on that Guild) but it's pictured here:
http://www.vintageinstruments.com/museum/53m75sfulpage.html
Same guitar was used for "Let's Get Together" so I'd say you can get a hellacious amount of versatility out of that early formula. And it occurs to me he might have been using a fuzzbox on Darkness Darkness to get some extra sustain.

I had no idea that was an Aristocrat. I'm a big Youngbloods fan. If you could get a vibrato on an Aristo and I had the spare Gs I'd love one

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ah yes. that's what it's all about, those thin featherlight bodies just vibrating under your hands, throbbing and twanging with overtone.
LOL.
Wouldja believe that's what I was thinking about my D25 on the day I thought it had its big "opening up" moment?
Never woulda thought it could happen that way but it happened to me.
I could feel the neck vibrating (never felt anythng like it before that) and realized it must also be feeding back into the top through the fretboard extension.