Cordoba Guild folks, are you reading this?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In case you are, check out this beautiful X500 on Ebay :

$_57.JPG

It's got a silly price on it, (more than $6000) but let's not discuss that too much - it's got white topped single coil DeArmond pickups on it. As did a bunch of early Starfires, and a handful of X175's and CE100D's. Inspired yet? :)

JavelinaJoe

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice. You got my attention. I'm really hoping they bring back American made archtops. Its so integral to the Guild legacy.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But do players NOW think of archtops when shopping for a new guitar ? I suppose the Jazz folks do, but is there enough of them willing to buy new guitars to turn it into a money maker ?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They're buying enough for them to have the Newark St. arch tops. So, I'd say yes, proportionally.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
But do players NOW think of archtops when shopping for a new guitar ? I suppose the Jazz folks do, but is there enough of them willing to buy new guitars to turn it into a money maker ?

Gretsch has stayed in business for a long time with a lineup of Japanese Archtops as well as the lower level Korean Models with the arch top being the majority of the product line. I think Guild would do very well for themselves if they brought back American Made archtops, Especially if they can make a reproduction of the original Dearmond Dynasonics or contract with Seymour Duncan who now makes Dynasonics to Re release the white top versions for American made Guilds.

matsickma

Reaction score
For the more affordable model are we saying MIK X175 with DeA or CE100D with DeA would be a winner? Guild did have the Westerly and Corona X160 model in the late 90's/ early 2000's. The model is less ornate than the X175 or a X500 but can do the job. The reissued model 2000's that were used on the X160 and M70 did a good job at reproducing the early DeA. I have a Westerly model and really like it. I would enjoy playing it more id build like a Hoboken model where the lighter, thinner wood and slimmer neck was used.

BTW...what is the funky plastic parts attached to the pickguard on the fancy X500?

M

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
BTW...I was actually thinking of adding a 3rd middle pickup to the X160 Rockabilly where the middle pickup would be a model 2K DeA to give a more P90 tone that could be blended with the bright model 2000.
What do you think? Bad idea? significantly reduce the value of the guitar? I don't consider the X160 Rockabilly to be classic that would be appreciate significantly in value over the years. It is a black model so looks sharp with the white DeA's.

M

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW...what is the funky plastic parts attached to the pickguard on the fancy X500?

M
Looks non-original to me. (Sort of a chip clip pickguard support?) The original bracket would lead to the screw that you can see.

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
Matsickma wrote
"BTW...I was actually thinking of adding a 3rd middle pickup to the X160 Rockabilly where the middle pickup would be a model 2K DeA to give a more P90 tone that could be blended with the bright model 2000. What do you think? Bad idea? significantly reduce the value of the guitar?"

Unless you are talking about a super rare or collectible guitar, (and an X160 is not) I think a person should make it the guitar they want it to be. I've have modified instruments before. As long as you do a good job, it isn't going to hurt the value significantly compared to the cost of not having the instrument you want. I don't have guitars just to look at. They are tools. If they won't do the job you need them to do, they are pretty much useless. My 2 cents.

Mike

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Mike, That is my thought also. The impact on $ isn't a deal breaker to me. What do you think of the concept of a 3 pup model that combines the bright model 2000 DeA tone with the P90 ish growl of a model 2k?

Has me interested and it would be a easy mod.

M

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Hope the Cordoba Guild folks get inspired.....I know I am.

Meanwhile these old late 50's white topped DeArmond single coils will have to do.
I have a '60 Starfire II with these and they've become my absolute favorites. This second set is waiting for the next guitar.
An X-175 without the poly finish might be just the thing but thats wishful thinking.

z

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Matsickma, I have an X160 as well and have thought about the same conversion. I was actually going to make mine a 4 pickup model and went as far as buying a set of the GFS NYII single coils to mount in between the Dearmond 2000's. I just love that guitar and the way it sounds soo much the way it already is that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. I agree that the X160 is not a super rare collectors Item but they have been climbing in value lately. 2 years ago you could get them for $1000-$1200 all day long. The last 3 I have seen sell have all sold for between $1700-$2000 in the last 6 months. If you decide to go through with the Modification I would love to see photos of the end result.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Matsickma wrote

Unless you are talking about a super rare or collectible guitar, (and an X160 is not) I think a person should make it the guitar they want it to be. I've have modified instruments before. As long as you do a good job, it isn't going to hurt the value significantly compared to the cost of not having the instrument you want. I don't have guitars just to look at. They are tools. If they won't do the job you need them to do, they are pretty much useless. My 2 cents.

Mike
Here, here! That's worth at least a dime right there...

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For the more affordable model are we saying MIK X175 with DeA or CE100D with DeA would be a winner?

With the right pickups, I'd probably end up buying one. I'm not a big fan of the 2000's in the Rockabilly 160, they're a little "light" and tame compared to the real thing in my experience. Both Duncan and TV Jones have some pretty nice DeArmond repros, and you can still get lucky with proper old ones too. I wouldn't mod the 160 btw.

Black is probably the rarest or second rarest finish for those, and I don't think there's that much to gain from a third pickup. I recently got a black NS 175, so my "must have black hollowbody!" itch has been scratched for now, but I had been looking for a black X160 for the right price at the right moment.

Zizala, I love those pickups! I'm looking for a neck model, if anyone is selling!

Last edited:

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
My photo of those old DeArmonds has me feeling like I ought to start another topic about those and keep this one on track.
So I'll do that right now.

z

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I scooped up a pair of 2009 Dynasonics from the Gretsch forum. I don't have a guitar to put them in, but...