Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Alright Walter, settle down. :joyous:

Last edited:

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Well...I don't like them myself, and my favorite guitar sounds are almost invariably single coil. Humbuckers certainly have their place, they're just not for me.

That's not really what I was saying above though. What I was referring to is more technical : there's a phase cancellation between the two coils of a humbucking pickup, and certain frequencies dissappear. While that's not necessarily a bad thing at all, it does mean that it really is impossible for a humbucker to sound exactly like a single coil pickup - EQ can be used to emphasize certain frequencies, or to cut them. But if they're not there in the first place, EQ cannot make them appear out of nowhere.

So even if you have a coil-tap shut off one side of a humbucker, is it still missing the disappearing frequencies?

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Haha, I just saw these old pics of a dude I jammed with back in the late 70's. He turned a Guild 6-string hollowbody with a Bigsby tremelo into a 4-string bass. Pretty creative, although maybe a bit strange. I don't recall it working out too well although we tolerated it because it was hard to find a bass player at the time. Wonder what model this is.

Mark%20Bass_zpsij4ubcyk.jpg

Old%20Band%20Pictures024_zpsdub7kvlp.jpg

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I find single coils have more attack and sound less "fluffy", but i have to say the Guild mini hums are different from full size hums IMO with plenty of attack and a kind of high frequency range response

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The most versatile guitar of all times (IMO before y'all throw the grenades) is the Stratocaster, and it uses single coils.
With that said "some" humbies are irreplaceable.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
The most versatile guitar of all times (IMO before y'all throw the grenades) is the Stratocaster, and it uses single coils.
With that said "some" humbies are irreplaceable.

True, Strats are very versatile, but you just can't get that heavy sound with the single coils, which is why EVH carved out his Strat back in the day and dropped a humbucker in it.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No, if you have a coil-cut on a humbucker it turns into a true single coil. usually not a fantastic sounding single coil, but that varies.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Well, I considered lots of options and all the comments here, did some other research and followed several auction listings, and ended up pulling the trigger on an X-170. It's a Westerly 1994 (pre-Fender I believe) model. I was drawn to the natural flame finish, dark neck, great condition, and wanted the Grigsby.

Haven't received the guitar yet, these are the seller's pics. I'll post some better pics when it arrives.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

mguly21bqynpbgeytpss_zpskeiygjis.jpg

hxueb7y7qqndy8by0zyh_zpsqb9wge0m.jpg

gwkfjooux7qt0xwavjyc_zpsjz4pa8vf.jpg

bf4v33i8ay8b2ywdqbgm_zpsxgixtjay.jpg

cclr3yrotlcz3t0qewf1_zpslr5ezgon.jpg

taqooacoaazmiwdlprow_zpsywipokax.jpg

n7ra3okhjdk3pkncgatp_zpsktjmbb1z.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
True, Strats are very versatile, but you just can't get that heavy sound with the single coils, which is why EVH carved out his Strat back in the day and dropped a humbucker in it.

First Off Congrats on a Beautiful X-170!! Just from personal experience I can get as heavy a tone as I want out of my Strat Single coils, Is it a Death Metal Tone? No. The single coils seemed to work pretty good for Hendrix and he had some very Low Tones.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
congrats, good catch! it's a beauty!
I liked my X-170T a lot, only it had the fenderbuckers. yours with the HB-1s should be fabulous! does it have a soundpost or not?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ha! I said it's beautiful, and I think it is - I didn't say I'd play or buy it! :)

lol... you're one of the few I can mess with, because I know I can rely on your sense of humor. ;)

However, I've been known to take risks with others too. :laughing::laughing:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
:applouse::encouragement::triumphant:

I think you're gonna like it!