Recommendations on a Hollowbody?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Krysh, how does one go about splitting a HB1?

For this particular task, you will need a tool kinda similar to the "top opening" one, but slightly different:

bjbgvo.png

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Now don't be fooled with the apparent simplicity of the job Jason: You need the exact amount of force that will split the HB1, without impacting the top.
So if you're not 100% confident in yourself, I would let a guitar tech handle it.

Kslam

Reaction score
I find single coils have more attack and sound less "fluffy", but i have to say the Guild mini hums are different from full size hums IMO with plenty of attack and a kind of high frequency range response

I agree completely! The original Anti-Hum (what we're calling Guild Mini-hums) pickups are much brighter and more open than other humbuckers I've tried.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice looking guitar !

It looks a LOT like my NS X-175B, but with humbuckers.

I need to find a YouTube on that instrument and see how it sounds.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I considered lots of options and all the comments here, did some other research and followed several auction listings, and ended up pulling the trigger on an X-170. It's a Westerly 1994 (pre-Fender I believe) model. I was drawn to the natural flame finish, dark neck, great condition, and wanted the Grigsby.

Haven't received the guitar yet, these are the seller's pics. I'll post some better pics when it arrives.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

taqooacoaazmiwdlprow_zpsywipokax.jpg

SCORE! That is one of the nicest 170Ts I've ever seen! That is a great era for Guilds, and I bet it will sound killer! I'll admit it. I'm a little jealous!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I considered lots of options and all the comments here, did some other research and followed several auction listings, and ended up pulling the trigger on an X-170. It's a Westerly 1994 (pre-Fender I believe) model. I was drawn to the natural flame finish, dark neck, great condition, and wanted the Grigsby.

mguly21bqynpbgeytpss_zpskeiygjis.jpg

Hello Billy,

Looks like a really nice instrument. Don't know if you've already received the instrument, but from the photos that the seller did send you I would say that's not an X-170 from 1994; I would say 1988 or very close to that. Bigsby is probably not stock, but hey .......... it's an original Guild Bigsby, so it all should work well!

Either way, I hope you will enjoy the guitar!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Hello Billy,

Looks like a really nice instrument. Don't know if you've already received the instrument, but from the photos that the seller did send you I would say that's not an X-170 from 1994; I would say 1988 or very close to that. Bigsby is probably not stock, but hey .......... it's an original Guild Bigsby, so it all should work well!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks, Hans, I still haven't received the guitar, but I'll look into that. The seller definitely listed it as 1994, but never provided a serial number.

BC

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Hello Billy,

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans, I just received the serial number from the seller, HL 100322, so yes to me that looks like 1988.

The guitar in general looks in great condition, and if that's the case when I receive it, is it preferable or not that it's late 1980's vs mid 1990's? Both years are pre-Fender Westerly's right?

I'm just wondering if I should ask for any recourse from the seller since he had the year wrong in the listing, or if it doesn't really matter if the guitar is in good condition.

Thanks,

BC

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans, I just received the serial number from the seller, HL 100322, so yes to me that looks like 1988.

The guitar in general looks in great condition, and if that's the case when I receive it, is it preferable or not that it's late 1980's vs mid 1990's? Both years are pre-Fender Westerly's right?

I'm just wondering if I should ask for any recourse from the seller since he had the year wrong in the listing, or if it doesn't really matter if the guitar is in good condition.

Thanks,

BC

Only concern I'd have is that an '80s Guild will likely have a smaller nut-width 1 5/8" vs 1 11/16" but I've never had hand-on time with an '80s X170T so that's an assumption on my part.

guildman63

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Aside from a possible difference in nut width it is in essence the same guitar with the same pups. Yes, both are Westerly/pre-Fender. I have owned one from the 80's, one from the late 90's, and one from the early 00's...all Westerly, but only one pre-Fender. All three were excellent!

NYWolf

Reaction score

Thanks,

BC

It's a great guitar you've got! There's really not much difference in x170 from all the years. I tried one from 1989 in a store, and it felt the same as the one I got recently, which is 1996. They all have narrow 1 5/8 nut, so I wouldn't worry about it. But on the earlier ones you have the original HB-1 pickups, which is preferable.

The only thing I would check first is the neck angle. Make sure there's no separation at the heel, and you have enough clearance at the bridge for a low enough action. For some reason, when I was doing a research, I found a few of x170s had a neck separation problems. I was wary about it when I was getting mine, from Reverb also, but so far so good! Otherwise, its a great guitar, and super versatile, even more so with Bigsby. Enjoy!

BillyCrash

Reaction score
It's a great guitar you've got! There's really not much difference in x170 from all the years. I tried one from 1989 in a store, and it felt the same as the one I got recently, which is 1996. They all have narrow 1 5/8 nut, so I wouldn't worry about it. But on the earlier ones you have the original HB-1 pickups, which is preferable.

The only thing I would check first is the neck angle. Make sure there's no separation at the heel, and you have enough clearance at the bridge for a low enough action. For some reason, when I was doing a research, I found a few of x170s had a neck separation problems. I was wary about it when I was getting mine, from Reverb also, but so far so good! Otherwise, its a great guitar, and super versatile, even more so with Bigsby. Enjoy!

Thanks NYWolf, I'll check that out when the guitar comes in.

BC

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar Billy. The Bigsby is a big plus!
MD