Guild Sighting # 4586 Slade!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Being a child of the 70's, I was a huge Slade fan. I was surfing through some YouTubes and I came across this one from later in their career in 1977. Much to my surprise Jim Lea is playing a Guild Starfire! While he always played short scale basses, it's the first I'd seen him with a Starfire, (Although they're lip syncing). And how funny does Dave Hill look as a skinhead?

To be continued...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm seeing a very early bass (1965) with a single PU in the bridge position. It is not a Bisonic although I won't hazard a guess as to what it is. I've been wrong doing that before but I don't recall what was wrong, just that I was :)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
According to Don Powell's diary the first video was from October 26th, 1977 recording T.O.T.P’s at BBC TV Studio, Wood Lane.
Looks like a humbucker in that SF-1 bass. All chrome and a small black mounting ring.
Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
According to Don Powell's diary the first video was from October 26th, 1977 recording T.O.T.P’s at BBC TV Studio, Wood Lane.
Looks like a humbucker in that SF-1 bass. All chrome and a small black mounting ring.
Ralf

It didn't look wide enough to be the post 1970 Guild humbucker retrofitted into an older bass. I believe it is one of the PUs shown below. I chose not to name them because the last time I did I got it wrong, Hans corrected me, but I don't recall exactly what the correction was. In any event I call the PUs "Mickey Mouse" and "Hagstrom that is not Bisonic". I'm not sure whether the second bass has a factory PU or not but maybe this post will clarify that for me :)

BA-276.JPG

BA-297.jpg

See also.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, I loved Slade. Quite Riot wouldn't have been who they were without Slade being there first.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It didn't look wide enough to be the post 1970 Guild humbucker retrofitted into an older bass.
I read the original thread where Hans corrected you and you might be right that it might be a bass with that Hagström (?) pickup.

BA-0329.JPG

The best view is around minute 1:29 in the video.
But the silver cover looks definitely wider in the video and the black mounting ring smaller...So maybe it is an aftermarket changed pickup in Jim Lea's SF-1.
Maybe it wasn't even his bass, maybe he borrowed it from the BBC studios or another musician there.

In the video it almost looks like that Hagström one in Hans' picture, but I also doubt it is the right one in the video.

Hagstrom-BassPU.jpg

Ralf

Last edited: