Goodbye Beautiful Beast!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've finally done it. I put my Ampeg Portaflex B-18X on the chopping block for consignment at a local store. :sorrow: This belonged to my guitar teacher, and I've grown up musically with this beast of an amp at my disposal.

Lately, though, after years of sitting unused in my basement except for occasional thumping with my Hofner Club Bass, I've decided to let this beast go. I just can't justify keeping it, and I hope that it goes to a studio that will put it through its paces, ideally on some famous recordings.

Everything I've ever plugged into it sounds great: guitars, analog synths, and of course, basses. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to plug an accordion into the accordion jack. That would have really been something.

I guess I'll have to invest in one of those crazy powerful little hybrid amps that are small enough to fit into a shirt pocket but can push an 800 watt cab. So much easier to haul around.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I looked it up. 110 Lbs ! You don't have a dolly under it or casters. I think I would dust around it.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I looked it up. 110 Lbs ! You don't have a dolly under it or casters. I think I would dust around it.
I know. It's sooo heavy. This is an old pic, and I usually kept it on a dolly of my own creation. As you can see, I also flipped the handles upside down to make it easier on the hands when hauling. Each time I think I should go back and grab it before it sells, I remember how difficult it is to load it by myself and why I'm selling it.

That is a sweet amp! I hope some studio buys it too!
Thanks, Steve. I would think with so many young hipster musicians in this town a studio without one would be crazy not to grab it.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Yeah, I know the feeling. I have a '67 Gemini 1-12 that is in mint condition. I bought it from the original owner. I used to play my CE-100 DP through it, but these days it mostly sits in the back room. I can't bring myself to sell it!

In the book "Ampeg, The Story Behind The Sound", the authors state that most guitar players never used the guitar input, but preferred to use the Mic or Accordion inputs because of the slightly higher gain.

Bill