Emerald Green?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it's just the lighting, but something tells me CMG did quite get the color right. Sure looks more like Kelly green to me. Yuk!

11329889_927982213914993_1626010395828653264_n.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think that may be the lighting or the camera settings in that picture Sandy. Here are the photos that My Luthier is using on Ebay and they are closer to a true representation of the Emerald Green Starfire. This is from Danny D's Guitar Hacienda In League City, TX. I have held this guitar personally and the color is very close to the pics below, Much darker than the pic you have listed above.

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Even that looks a bit light TX. Almost all the Emerald Green Starfires I've seen, including mine, look more like black unless you see them in bright light. Here's mine, in very bright light.

7468785914_f00b2d323f_b.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First let me say, Sandy that Bass is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!! I see what you mean about the different shade on the Newark Street Emerald color. The one I had my hands on does have a bit more Green in it than the original color on your bass but it was Nowhere near as bright as the first pic. I don't get it, The Emerald one they had in the NAMM Video posted on this forum is dark enough that it is almost black in color like your Bass. I wonder what happened between NAMM and now to change it to the Brighter shade?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sandy does the label in your bass say the word "emerald" or just "green?"

the pictures you posted of the new SF IV guitar look like the green night bird and green JF 30 I have seen from the late 80s or early to mid 90s. I think in the 60s there was more variation.

i like the new green SF IV! The stop tailpiece and that particular pickguard, no knobs or switches on the bass horn...look out!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
We have discussed memories of green Starfires before. The first Guild I played was a green Starfire bass. The first, bright, picture matches my memory. The less bright picture could be it and Sandy's bass definitely is not how I remember things from 40+ years ago. The discrepancies have been explained by maple vs. mahogany body, aging finish and aging memory. That said, the Guild literature here refers to the color as "Emerald Green" at least as it appeared on a bass.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, what does CMG have to do with this guitar? Just curious.

Guild posted a picture on Facebook. I understood the picture to mean that there were Newark Street Starfire guitars available in that finish. What was not clear was how many and where to get them. I'm sure those points will be cleared up soon.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What was not clear was...where to get them.
Think I saw one on eBay! If I am not mistaken. These look nice! If they made the flamed maple cherry sunburst with some Duncan humbuckers you could melt some serious faces. But I like the green too.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
First let me say, Sandy that Bass is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!

Thanks TX, and yes it is! When I first saw this one on eBay. I thought for sure it was black, and only realized it was green when it arrived at my office.

Sandy does the label in your bass say the word "emerald" or just "green?"

Just says "Green", Eric. No room for "Emerald" on the label!

18464929138_3a4d6c4a5d_b.jpg

DeluxeToneJim

Reaction score
Guys - Watch the NAMM launch footage and skip ahead to 1:30 - you'll see that the Emerald Green SFIV Newark St is a lot darker in the flesh than the website photos from Guild - which is no doubt due to the light. In that clip it looks a lot closer to the vintage Emerald Green - almost black from a distance and depending on the light.

Personally - I wish they had have put white DeArmonds and white switch tip and binding on these - that's a very cool vintage Guild aesthetic, particularly on the I to III's. The Amber/Yellow switch tip looks pretty awful for my taste but hey, beggars can't be choosers and I'll be begging the better half to add one of these new stop tail SF's to the collection :)

Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoOaSZBtRc

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've seen one in person, and it's definitely darker than the first pic in this thread. That said, hard to tell for me whether it was "the right color", as I've never seen a vintage green Guild in person. I'm not that big of a fan of the green myself.

Also, this is one of the instances where the difference between poly-based finishes and lacquer really does make a difference : the older ones, being done in lacquer, will change color over time as the clear coat turns amber, probably taking the edge of the green and taking it from brighter green to sort of a militairy green color, more olive-green in the mix. The poly finished guitar, except for surface scratches dulling the overall sheen a little, will likely look exactly the same in twenty, thirty years.

guildman63

Reaction score
I like that new emerald green, and I like Sandy's green bass (which looks more mossy than emerald to me). I do think the shades of green over the years changed a bit, but I am tempted by the New version.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was in our local Guild dealer's shop today. (Yep, we have one) He was telling me about the green Starfires and is planning to order one soon. When I see it I'll post some pics.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had hopes that NH would do a run of SFllls. I wanted one in green bad enough to buy a blonde and send it back to be refinned in green...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total