Picture of new to me Starfire

Reaction score
New here

Hi all,
I'm new here because I just got my first Guild Starfire bass. I must say I have become a little smitten. Okay so a lot smitten.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi all,
I'm new here because I just got my first Guild Starfire bass. I must say I have become a little smitten. Okay so a lot smitten.

Welcome. Which Starfire/time period? We always love pictures although after a while it gets hard to remember which cherry SF I is which unless there is a wear pattern visible.

Reaction score
IMG_4584_zpsftwxbgw1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I believe it is from the reissue period of 97-2000. I also have a 1980 D45 NT 6 string.

Reaction score
IMG_4584_zpsftwxbgw1.jpg

I believe it is from the reissue period of 97-2000. I also have a nice D45 NT from 1980.
Thanks for all the welcomes!
Figuring out how to post a pic was interesting.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
IMG_4584_zpsftwxbgw1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I believe it is from the reissue period of 97-2000. I also have a 1980 D45 NT 6 string.

Nice. I think you are correct on the time period. What look like metal bridge saddles pretty much makes that the only choice for an unmodified instrument. Not many of those discussed on LTG although I think mavuser has one.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry about the learning curve, but for various reasons LTG does not host images on its server and so you have to host them elsewhere and link. A FAQ is here in case anyone else needs it.

I noted elsewhere that it looks like what we call the 90's reissue.

Reaction score
Yes sorry about the double thread/double picture post. It was confirmed by Hans that it is a 2001. I have never played an older one but after working on this one for two hours adjusting the neck, bridge, and pickups, it plays and sounds wonderful. After I plugged it in to my Alembic F-2 pre-amp it was pure bliss. Now I wonder how the new Guild Bi-sonics would sound and what the difference would be?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Merged threads because It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time.

As noted I think mavuser is the person who is most likely to be able to compare the reissue to a vintage so maybe constantly repeating that will get his attention without sending a PM.

I have informed opinions comparing the vintage Bisonic, the vintage humbucker and the Newark Street Bisonic but I've never heard the 90's pickup so...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice one! I have the same bass in maple sunburst, a 1998. LA has one also which is mahogany. Those 90s humbuckers sound pretty nice! They are not as powerful and "hot" as the 70s Humbuckers, which can be over the top thunder at high volumes. But they have a nice warm and punchy tone. The Bisonic pickup sounds noticeably different. Also the 90s bass is 1/4 inch thinner in the body than vintage, and/or Newark street reissues. I would not remove the 90s guild humbuckers from your bass for a Newark street pickup, or for any pickup. But that is just me. (LA was speaking of changing the pickups in his, not sure if he did...) Welcome!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice sideways grateful dead bear on the wall behind the bass, btw. Phil would approve!

Reaction score
Haha, you noticed. Yes I will keep the 90 hums in the bass. Mostly because I really like the way they sound (at least for now). I am getting some gorgeous overtones and incredible sustain.