Guild M-120, with rosewood scratchplate

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster

I've an offer in on a Guild GAD M-120 guitar, heading to check it out, and possibly take it home, tomorrow. One thing I noticed is the guitar has a rosewood scratchplate. The owner tells me it came with it when he bought, through a private sale, but can tell me no more then this. I'm wondering was it some limited run, or is it a after market upgrade? Googling tells me nothing, so I think this a one-off mod...

I've no big issue with the plate, thought it's large for the guitar size, but it does have me wondering if it's hiding any damage. Has anyone encountered anything like this before on a 120 or any Guild?

Many thanks! Hoping it's all good as it's a good price for a great looking guitar! Here's the advert link...

http://www.adverts.ie/acoustic-guitars/guild-m120/8072670

Neal

Reaction score
Hi, Pantone, and welcome.

I had one of these for a year or so, and it was a blast. Short-scale, very good playability, nice tone but a bit boxy for my taste. It served well as my travel guitar. Had a really nice case, too.

Yes, that is an aftermarket pickguard, and yes, it does appear to be hiding some damage (noticeable at the bottom of the pickguard, extending under the bridge.

I would get a mirror inside and see what the top looks like underneath. Is it really chewed up? Cracked? Does it look like somebody stepped on it and patched it with the pickguard?

I would also at least have a little concern as to how much of a damping effect that rosewood pickguard might have. Sounds like you have the chance to get it in your hands, assess any damage, play the guitar and assess tone and playability, and decide if it's the one.

There are lots of used M-130's out there, so if this one fails the cost/benefit smell test, there will be other examples.

Neal

Reaction score
Hey Neal, thanks for the advice!

You could well be right about patching damage, and this is what had me worried.. I actually think in the photos it's just a reflection by the bridge, where you've noted damage... but I'll check it out.

I picked up a cheap convex mirror so I can nose around inside. Worth noting that the bridge pins have been upgraded and I believe the pick up was swapped out for an LR Baggs, so the plate could just be someone a result of someone tinkering with the guitar overall.

I'll have my mitts on it on Friday, I'll let you know how it pans out. Thanks again for your reply!